Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French tolls

Options
  • 23-04-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Been to France a few times and only used tolls one or twice both were unmanned and I paid what the machine asked for.
    My question is campers are charged at car rates in Ireland does anyone know if this is the same in France.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

defike wrote: »
    Been to France a few times and only used tolls one or twice both were unmanned and I paid what the machine asked for.
    My question is campers are charged at car rates in Ireland does anyone know if this is the same in France.
    nope differs greatly.if you have a bed over the cab you will most likely be charged one of the higher rates, if you have a low profile one. where the bed above the cab drops down or mightn't have a bed above the cab will some times be charged the lower rate and if you have a panel van camper they will be charged a lower rate to both above

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

nope differs greatly.if you have a bed over the cab you will most likely be charged one of the higher rates, if you have a low profile one. where the bed above the cab drops down or mightn't have a bed above the cab will some times be charged the lower rate and if you have a panel van camper they will be charged a lower rate to both above

If you notice you are being charged as a truck use the intercom. Say - "nous sommes a camping-car" and they will change the toll. Had to do it twice. Once they sniggered politely at my bad French :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Its just a converted van.I took the ticket from the higher slot so I had a feeling I was being charged as a lorry.Didn't think to use intercom.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

I just thought that the ticket was the same whether it comes out of the top or bottom slot at the Toll Plaza. Anyone sure on this.

Bessa wrote: »
    I just thought that the ticket was the same whether it comes out of the top or bottom slot at the Toll Plaza. Anyone sure on this.

You are right it doesn't matter - but pay attention to the display and check what "classe" it charges you at.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

The display usually just shows the amount of euro to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

I usually notice :

Classe 1 and the charge in Euros

Depending on what part of the network you are on the unmanned pay machines can vary but somewhere on it it also shows classe as well as prix. Notice the one in this video, there is a panel for classe as well as prix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3dvTpTOTOs&feature=relmfu

Advertisement