Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower help please!

Options
  • 23-04-2012 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm having a problem with a pumped electric shower (Gainsborough Emerald II) that hopefully can be fixed with a little expert advice.

A few weeks ago I stripped out our main upstairs bathroom to prepare for a refit. I removed the bath, sink and toilet and just capped the water feeds to all three for now. To stop the supply to the room while doing this job I blocked up the outlet valve of the attic water tank temporarily. All went fine, but...

The shower in our en suite began acting up. When turned on it would make a louder than usual noise, then after a few minutes the 'heater' light would go out and the flow would be cold. Assuming my issue was with water supply or an airlock somewhere, I ran the shower cold for a while and found the pressure lower than usual. So I located a stopcock in the hot press between the attic tank and the shower, and fiddled with this to try and improve the situation, with limited success.

The current situation is:
    1) The shower works perfectly when turned on, and with a bit more pressure than before.
    2) When switched off the shower drips constantly. Not a small drip either, an actual water flow. I have been blocking the shower hose when not in use as a workaround for now, but this is not ideal of course.

This obviously suggests too much water pressure, but when I close the stopcock enough to stop the dripping, I go back to my earlier issue of the heater cutting out mid shower.

Help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Sounds like the solenoid is not closing properly in the shower or there is something preventing it from closing like a bit of grit or dirt. Nothing to do with the valve in the hot press.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Either 1. You put the cover back on incorrectly and the valve is still open under the spline. When i imported these it was the most common problem. To correct this open the cover and turn the splined valve back to close.

2. The have changed them to solenoid valves since i was importing them(10 years ago) and above might be the problem

Dont forget to prime the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lrishJoe

You put the cover back on incorrectly and the valve is still open under the spline.

You were absolutely spot on. After a bit of fiddling, the problem is fixed. Many thanks for your help; really appreciated!

Advertisement