Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish red cedar

Options
  • 22-04-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody,

Is anyone have ever use some Irish red cedar ? Any difference / similarities with the North American one ?
    Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Is it also called western red cedar?

I've been considering using that to replace my fascia and soffit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

laugh wrote: »
    Is it also called western red cedar?

I've been considering using that to replace my fascia and soffit.

Weatern Red Cedar is Canadian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Irish Cedar, use it all the time. Usually has more knots than imported timber. Also, I have noticed that there is much more of a colour variation in the imported stuff, Irish tends to be very regular in colour. And as it happens I'm out to build a fence from the stuff tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

earpiece wrote: »
    Irish Cedar, use it all the time. Usually has more knots than imported timber. Also, I have noticed that there is much more of a colour variation in the imported stuff, Irish tends to be very regular in colour. And as it happens I'm out to build a fence from the stuff tomorrow!!

It's also much harder than imported. The knots are a bitch on machine cutters, although the traces of silica on the imported Cedar can blunt cutters very fast as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

What about the density, is it the same light weight ?
    Growth rings as close as in the North American one ?
    Any information about the durability ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement