Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snipe (was - What kind of bird?)

Options
  • 22-04-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭

I was out fishing on a local river last night and a strange bird kept circiling around making a very perculiar sound. it was a smallish bird, about woodcock size and it flew with very fast wing beats at around 30 to 50 feet

The sound it made was perculiar a kind of woooowooooowooooowoooooowoooo, I've never heard it before!! anyone have any ideas

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

It sounds like a Nitejar to me. They arrive about this time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I have absolutely no experience of them, but that's what jumped into my mind too. Ray Mears had a wildlife series on a few months ago and they featured one week - didn't think we had them here though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Yes, They are a rareish summer visitor, I have only heard them once in Boyle in Roscommon. Here is a clear recording that the OP can listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOAGUfBFcvM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Definately wasnt a nightjar, based on the sound on that clip, that was way to clicky, it was as described a wwwooooooowoooooowwooooowooo, sound the bird was flying around in circles calling all the time while flying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sounds like a Common Sandpiper:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Sounds like a Common Sandpiper:)

I don't agree, Birdnuts, the description of the sound and the behaviour don't really suggest Common Sandpiper.

In my opinion, the description sounds far more like a drumming Snipe - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xst3qhAVazU

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

a sound I love to hear

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

LostCovey wrote: »
    I don't agree, Birdnuts, the description of the sound and the behaviour don't really suggest Common Sandpiper.

In my opinion, the description sounds far more like a drumming Snipe - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xst3qhAVazU

LostCovey

Cheers Lost Covey, thats what it was, I had never heard it before!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well well well
    That sound of the Snipe has been driving me and the family mad for about three weeks. We hear it from about 10.00pm at night.
    We live in Leitrim next to a loch in the wilds.
    Thanks to everyone because we had no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

No6 wrote: »
    I was out fishing on a local river last night and a strange bird kept circiling around making a very perculiar sound. it was a smallish bird, about woodcock size and it flew with very fast wing beats at around 30 to 50 feet

The sound it made was perculiar a kind of woooowooooowooooowoooooowoooo, I've never heard it before!! anyone have any ideas

A curlew perhaps? I often see one while fishing in Mayo. They're not too common anymore afaik.

Advertisement