Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Private Consultants Charge Every Visit?

Options
  • 22-04-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I went to see a Private Consultant last week and the cost was €160 - I was 5 mins with him and he recommended and booked me in for a Hysterectomy - I was a bit shell shocked and asked Nothing about the operation (stupid me) and I really would like to meet him to discuss any alternatives to this procedure - I am going to ring tomorrow for another appointment - do you think I will have to pay another €160 - I know its my own fault for not asking the questions first time round but €320 is a lot of expense for my family right now :(
    Anyone any experience of this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Yeah they charge every time! I had to fork out lot of money a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Just make sure you are referred to a public hospital, as a public patient. If you go privately to a public hospital, you will be charged by every consultant that is involved in your operation,i.e Anaesthetist, Pathologist, Surgeon, Radiologist. In addition you will be treated as a private patient foe accomodation purposes. You will have little change out of €3000 - €4000. A private hospital will be even more expensive. Private healthcare is (unfortunately) an expensive business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Yes, you will have to pay each time that you see a private consultant, however, the initial consultation is always the most expensive, seeing as you paid 160 for your first visit, I would expect that all subsequent consultations would be around the 100 euro mark. However, if I were you, I would ring the secretary and explain that you forgot to ask about x or y treatment and would it be possible for Dr X to phone you back to have a chat about these other treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭BoDiddly

160 e is not a bad price, I'm being charged 400 per visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

BoDiddly wrote: »
    :eek:

Who....what speciality?

Go up the north, usually far cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

aisher wrote: »
    I was a bit shell shocked and asked Nothing about the operation (stupid me) and I really would like to meet him to discuss any alternatives to this procedure -

Firstly-you are not stupid.Most of us tend to forget the basics when confronted with unexpected news.

I would imagine,in this day & age,that a consultant wouldn't recommend a Hysterectomy unless absolutely necessary.

Write out your list of questions and ask your GP.He/She should be able to answer everything.

Best of luck.

:eek:

Who....what speciality?

Go up the north, usually far cheaper.

Orthopedic, mid-west, on going for 6 years !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

BoDiddly wrote: »

Oh my god BoDiddly !!!!!! I am also with an Orthopaedic Doc here in Dublin, in one of the fancy new purpose built private clinic/hospitals and I only pay 120 euros per visit !!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

That's obscene. I pay €150 max for an initial visit(and I had a few last year) and then €100 or so after.

That's obscene. I pay €150 max for an initial visit(and I had a few last year) and then €100 or so after.

It is, so I changed consultants, but cost me a year waiting time, but saved a fair bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement