Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kitchen worktop query

Options
  • 22-04-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

:confused: Hi all, a query for any worktop fitters out there. I need to replace my worktop which is 'u' shaped so has two right angle joins.
    I'd be willing to buy a router jig but have seen 40mm worktops with a simple right angle edge profile which I like.
    Is it just a matter of butt joining them with the bolts routed into recesses underneath.? There would obviously be a small join visible but I can't see the need to use a jig, in fact it probably wouldn't work with a right angle proflie.?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Yep, sounds about right what you are considering and the bolts will pull them tight. You could add dowels and some glue so the worktops do not lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

IrlMonk wrote: »
    Yep, sounds about right what you are considering and the bolts will pull them tight. You could add dowels and some glue so the worktops do not lift.

As I thought. Thanks for the rapid response !

:rolleyes: Postscript : The square edge tops are almost twice the price of the postformed ones as they are laminated on the bottom also.
    I'm buying a brand called 'topshape+' . The idea is to be able to mount them high on a wall or use them free standing with a support.
    As usual you get what you pay for.

;) Gave up on the square edge stuff as its 650mm wide not 610 ( 2') which I'm replacing.
    Here's a mad idea. Is it possible to buy black melamine/laminate/formica and simply make the worktop myself ? No need for a postformed edge as I'm going for a simple right angle.
    Does anybody know any suppliers in Ireland ?

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I've seen an American laminate his own plywood worktop,.. in Fine Woodworking probably. He used a large sheet of laminate and contact adhesive. It didn't seem to be worthwhile, in that worktops can be bought in so cheaply.

It'd be hard enough to bend the laminate over the edges without cracking.

I'm not sure if your method of butt joining the top form worktops would work. There is probably a very small radius roundover on the edge to make it easier to manufacture. Also, even if the edge is entirely square I'm not sure if you'd be able to seal the join sufficiently.

Other than that could you not cut off the 40mm at the back of the 650mm worktop that you don't need?

NEY in Northern Ireland may sell large sheets of laminate.

or Modern Veneer Importers (MVI)

or perhaps Ostermann in the UK, (a new company to me), which is Europes largest supplier of edge banding apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Making worktops the way your proposing will work out a lot more expensive than buying a ready made one.

And with laminate and contact adhesive you only get one chance. Do it wrong and it's ruined!!

Thanks for that Joe.
    I agree its a lot of trouble to go to just to get square edged stock.I wouldn't be daft enough to try and make anything with a radius.
    Between the cost of blockboard/ mdf and the laminate its just too much hassle and probably not all that economical.
    Just out of interest I'm quoted 180euro for 4metres of the square stock and regular laminate is about 100euro. Adding 23% vat really is the sting in the tail ! Its putting me off buying anything in this country.
    Time to put on my thinking cap again.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

tippo sell square edge tops,up to 5.5m long

http://www.tippo.ie/index.php?id=1455

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

Noyeks sells some Formica stuff.
    Could be cheap, as it could be dear, depends of what you want ( from 20 to 60 euro the 10x4 sheet )
    No way of rounding it in the edges, though, it will break for sure !
    Check noyeks.ie for the closest to you.
    ;)

recipio wrote: »
    ;) Gave up on the square edge stuff as its 650mm wide not 610 ( 2') which I'm replacing.
    Here's a mad idea. Is it possible to buy black melamine/laminate/formica and simply make the worktop myself ? No need for a postformed edge as I'm going for a simple right angle.
    Does anybody know any suppliers in Ireland ?

cheers.

Another ps. Found square edged black worktops from Ikea. They look ok and come in shorter lengths for the diy market. You can't argue with their prices.
    Pity I have to drive to Dublin to get them but ya can't win them all. !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I could have got u black square edged worktops in 3.6m lengths

Advertisement