Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamaica

Options
  • 22-04-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Anyone been and got any feedback. Is it purely a sun destination lying on the beach type place or are there other things to do. Is it safe to go to the cities. Thinking of going in November. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

I was in Montego Bay about 5 years ago, and to be honest, I hated it :( We got hassled everywhere we went, so that put me off. But someone else could have had a great time there, it just wasnt for us unfortuantely.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

I've only been there for a day (on a cruise) but I did a lot of reading up on it beforehand. We docked at Falmouth which is halfway between Montego Bay and Ochos Rios.

Tourists are usually recommended to stay inside the resorts. In the short time we were in the country we were constantly hassled (like the other poster) and tbh we wouldn't have felt very safe wandering around on our own - we had armed guards surrounding us as we left the ship.

In saying that the beach we went to was amazing and the other ships excursions looked pretty good - you could go horseriding on the beach, climb waterfalls, go ziplining, go kayaking, swimming with dolphins or boating. I'm sure you'd be able to book them throgh a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

OP would you consider maybe Barbados or St. Lucia instead?
    I don't know the price difference in a holiday to Jamaica but the other two mentioned are much safer places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

My wife and I have been to Negril twice in the last 6 years. Loved every minute of it.

Negril is quiet and safe for a beach holiday. I woudn't have any interest in visiting Montego Bay, Ocho Rios or any other tourist spots for longer than a day trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭deckycoop

hii just wondering did you go to jamaica or where did you end up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

Anyone been and got any feedback. Is it purely a sun destination lying on the beach type place or are there other things to do. Is it safe to go to the cities. Thinking of going in November. Thanks

Rob Ford, an ex-Mayor of Toronto, Canada famous for a Jamaican patois rant at a fast food restaurant in his hometown, took some time off his new job (as city councillor) when he took some of his family along to Jamaica. I have yet to visit the destination, but there's plenty of Jamaican culture and food to be found in Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Yes I'd definitely choose barbados been 3 times love it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Absolute hell hole. You can't leave your resort or you'll most likely be mugged, best case scenario. The people are unfriendly scammers and the police are corrupt. The men are abusive and extremely rude and overtly sexual towards women. They have an extreme dislike for whites/europeans , because of the slavery, not saying they shouldn't, but yeah best avoid it if you're white.
    Read the reviews on virtual tourist. Theres hardly a good word said by anyone about it, its a horrible place your money will be better spent in basically any other caribbean island!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Absolute hell hole. You can't leave your resort or you'll most likely be mugged, best case scenario. The people are unfriendly scammers and the police are corrupt. The men are abusive and extremely rude and overtly sexual towards women. They have an extreme dislike for whites/europeans , because of the slavery, not saying they shouldn't, but yeah best avoid it if you're white.
    Read the reviews on virtual tourist. Theres hardly a good word said by anyone about it, its a horrible place your money will be better spent in basically any other caribbean island!

I like the movie Cool Runnings, excerpts of which I found quite funny.

Yet the export, of the violence inflicted by Yardie drug gangs, from Jamaica across the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean to the US and UK, respectively, is an indictment of the arming, of rival gangs, by the major political parties of Jamaica. It's amazing Tim Westwood, then a radio DJ, survived being shot, when so many other victims of Yardie violence didn't survive. The videos "Gun Law: 'The Yardies' - UK Gangs" and "THE YARDIES (JAMAICAN DOCUMENTARY)" are ugly reminders, of the exporting of drug violence from Jamaica, and an indictment of the Jamaican political class.

Advertisement