Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal versions of pop(ular) songs?

Options
  • 22-04-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Any ideas of popular/classic/chart songs that could be given the metal treatment in a band context - just for sh1ts and giggles?

Bear in mind, this isn't a serious thread at all. :D Any and all suggestions
    welcome.

I'd be tending towards 80's cheese or trad ballads just for the laugh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭breffni666

Get that Mike Flowers Pops guy to cover some metal. Would be shi*e but funny at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

I'd like to hear a death metal version of this song....

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

wolfmoon87 wrote: »

:D

haha maybe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

wolfmoon87 wrote: »

I'd rather bring death to the singers to be honest, does my f*ckin' head in :pac:

This guy is absolutely excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    277033_278564168823007_1313515018_n.jpg

Fantômas performing Al Green's soul hit "Simply Beautiful", stunning! I love the abrupt changes in mood...

Not an LMFAO fan then? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Haha! Most certainly not, that song is a crime against humanity. ;) I remember I once said the phrase "everyday I'm shufflin'" in the presence of my peers and I'm still mad at myself for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    I'd rather bring death to the singers to be honest, does my f*ckin' head in :pac:

This guy is absolutely excellent.

I've seen this guy before too, excellent player but he's really creepy! the wink at the start of the video...WTF?

Nailz wrote: »
    Haha! Most certainly not, that song is a crime against humanity. ;) I remember I once said the phrase "everyday I'm shufflin'" in the presence of my peers and I'm still mad at myself for it.

No harm in a little shuffin' as part of your everday routine in my book :P Ah well, I can be a shameless electropop fan when I want to be so we'll have to agree to disagree!
    I've seen this guy before too, excellent player but he's really creepy! the wink at the start of the video...WTF?

I think it's kind of endearing most of the time, but it can come across as a bit creepy alright! His version of "Kiss From a Rose" by Seal is also glorious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Always reckoned that ABBA would be a great band to cover,lots of tracks lend themselves to be covered by metal bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

lord lucan wrote: »
    Always reckoned that ABBA would be a great band to cover,lots of tracks lend themselves to be covered by metal bands.

I think that the fact they're Swedish helps too! It just does :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

lord lucan wrote: »

Now that you mention it, there's a cover band down here in Cork that does drone metal covers of ABBA songs. I know that sounds like a terrible idea but their name is what really stands out: "Gnawing Me, Gnawing You" :D. I think they've only played one gig so far though, which I managed to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

This is my favourite by far, just what a good cross-genre cover should be and fits your bill of being originally an 80s tune (going to guess it's 80s..)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

for more metal covers than you can shake a stick at check out Ten Masked Men

• Registered Users Posts: 12,969 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think it would be great to hear more metal versions of some of those 80s synth bands - they could use some extra Grunt. There are some already out there e.g. this crappy version of OMD's Enola Gay:

or this crappy version of Shout (Tears For Fears):

I thought about looking for metal versions of Duran Duran songs, but dread the thought of what I might find ... :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Mozart's 40th symphony by Yngwie Malmsteen. Simply fantastic.

Advertisement