Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Abroad

Options
  • 22-04-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I don't know enough about this hence the post.

Last Summer, I lost RTE approx 20kms south of Calais and got it back approx 20kms south of Cherbourg.

In the UK TodayFM is pretty strong for approx 100kms east of Holyhead.

When we had WiFi we picked up the radio over the Inet but is there another way of listening to RTE / TodayFm in the van when travelling through the UK or Europe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

dfbemt wrote: »
    When we had WiFi we picked up the radio over the Inet but is there another way of listening to RTE / TodayFm in the van when travelling through the UK or Europe?
    Satellite? For RTE at least. newstalk too, but don't think today fm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Jaysus - why would you want to listen to Irish Radio on your hols? 'tis getting away from it you'd want surely.

Apps on phone work anywhere of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

RTE Radio1 long-wave 252 is good well down into France, but only when stopped as interference is very bad when on the move.

Unfortunately RTE Radio moved all their satellite broadcasts to 2D a while ago so it's only receivable where RTE or BBC/ITV TV can be got now.

Why not listen to one of the excellent local stations, RFM to mention my French favourite, and isolate yourself from all the crap news from home and enjoy your travels.
    You really will find some with music to suit your preference with plenty of English language music content.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭shaysue

I tried the LW waveband while in France in 2011 and had no luck. Previously we always managed to get it on LW. Used laptop and wifi when avail to keep in up to date on misery stories from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

If I have to listen to radio from home when in France or Germany, I do it via the web. But only if it's important i.e. sport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Martin_D wrote: »
    Jaysus - why would you want to listen to Irish Radio on your hols? 'tis getting away from it you'd want surely.

Have to agree

Irish radio:
    "recession,recession ... blah blah ... redundancy ... blah blah ... HSE cuts ... blah blah ... austerity, and now for the shipping forecast:

A gale warning is in operation for all Irish coastal waters, and a small craft warning for lakes and inland waterways. Forecast for Irish coastal waters from Fair Head to Howth Head to Hook Head and for the Irish Sea. North to north west severe gale force 9. Visibility poor to very poor....

Roche's Pt Automatic. North, 47 Knots, Gust 94 Knots, Heavy RAIN, 0 Miles, 970, Falling slowly ..

and now for the angelus bong .. bong

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

paddyp wrote: »
    Martin_D wrote: »

Have to agree

Irish radio:
    "recession,recession ... blah blah ... redundancy ... blah blah ... HSE cuts ... blah blah ... austerity, and now for the shipping forecast:

A gale warning is in operation for all Irish coastal waters, and a small craft warning for lakes and inland waterways. Forecast for Irish coastal waters from Fair Head to Howth Head to Hook Head and for the Irish Sea. North to north west severe gale force 9. Visibility poor to very poor....

Roche's Pt Automatic. North, 47 Knots, Gust 94 Knots, Heavy RAIN, 0 Miles, 970, Falling slowly ..

and now for the angelus bong .. bong
    Classic :-)

Advertisement