Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc Energy Finance or MA Economics?

Options
  • 22-04-2012 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Hi, considering a complete career change at the moment. I'm currently a Mechanical engineer with 5 years work experience.

Interested in moving towards the financial sector, have been looking at both the MA in Economics in UCD, and the MSc in Energy & Environmental Finance

http://www.smurfitschool.ie/mastersprogrammes/accountingandfinance/mscinenergyandenvironmentalfinance/#d.en.117829

Just looking for opinions really. The MA would be challenging as I have no background in Economics or Business. The MSc could be interesting as it ties in with Engineering. On the other hand it might be a bit narrow, maybe the MA is more recognised and useful?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

If you got the MSc, are there companies that you know of through your engineering work who would want to employ you? Given you already have a background in engineering, do you think you'd be employed with the MSc over someone with the MA?

In terms of the difficulty, economics at masters level (as far as I'm aware) is mostly maths; and it's certainly not business. Going from a quantitative background such as engineering or maths into economics is relatively common, so you should be fine.

Advertisement