Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Land

Options
  • 21-04-2012 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I am not a farmer but I am thinking about buying a 10 acre field with the intention of building a house on it in the future and renting out the rest of the land. The land does not come with planning permission, so I can't get a mortgage for it.

So I am wondering what my options are?

I have a good job and have been saving regularly for the past 2 year.

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Can I ask,what price are the 10 acres being sold for?

Has the land road frontage?

You could built a farm shed on the land straight away,after planning.Maybe then put in a mobile home.Over time put in planning for a house on your farm.

Not 100% sure but it will be interesting to know what others posters input will be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Location location location? It might be worth looking at something with a ruined/ old house on it already, might be easier get PP to renovate or knock an existing house and re-build on the same place?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

buy a house, keep your money for going on holidays and leave the land to the farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

What part of the country are you in? A pre-planning consultation would tell you a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wantstobuyland

Price wise im not too sure as its going for auction.. I reckon about 120k because its good land and there is plenty of road frontage. There is no buildings on the land. I have 60k in the bank (and no loans outstanding) but that leaves me 60-70k short.So I am wondering what my options are?

Since there is no planning on it I can't get a mortgage. However, if I buy it planning will not be an issue down the line as im from the area.

Banks hardly offer long-medium term loans for agricultural land to non farmers?

Is my only option to try and get a personal of 60k loan of the bank and repay it over 5 years? Repayments and interest would be huge but I could try to:
    1 get planning ASAP
    2 then get a mortgage
    3 pay off the loan straight away with money from the mortgage
    4 start building

What are the chances of a bank these days willing to lend me 60-70k without planning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Price wise im not too sure as its going for auction.. I reckon about 120k because its good land and there is plenty of road frontage. There is no buildings on the land. I have 60k in the bank (and no loans outstanding) but that leaves me 60-70k short.So I am wondering what my options are?

Since there is no planning on it I can't get a mortgage. However, if I buy it planning will not be an issue down the line as im from the area.

Banks hardly offer long-medium term loans for agricultural land to non farmers?

Is my only option to try and get a personal of 60k loan of the bank and repay it over 5 years? Repayments and interest would be huge but I could try to:
    1 get planning ASAP
    2 then get a mortgage
    3 pay off the loan straight away with money from the mortgage
    4 start building

What are the chances of a bank these days willing to lend me 60-70k without planning?
    You can buy a house alot cheaper than building,i've seen houses sold at 50% of the construction cost.
    And the return from buying land to rent is ano brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

If you have a good income and can service a 60,000 euro loan and have half the price of the land I cannot see why you would not get a loan O get the impression that you may be intending to buy it build a house on it and sell your own. Talk to a bank and see if they will lend you the money I imagine that that kind of money over 10 years will cost 7500-8000 euro per year or 625-775 per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wantstobuyland

thanks for the advice. Ya I really need to call into my local bank and have a good chat with them.

Cheers

Advertisement