Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crolla v Matthews

Options
  • 21-04-2012 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭

Anybody watch this?

Cracking fight, spoilt by a premature stoppage.

I certainly don't begrudge Matthews his win though. Really surprised me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

megadodge wrote: »
    Anybody watch this?

I wasn't really that surprised with Crolla, no power whatsoever, too easy to hit, sky seem to have hyped him a little when he has only really been repackaged as a lightweight, he was a light puncher at super feather.

Matthews just walked him down, and he has had his day too, fair play on title win.

Just one thing though, Joe Gallagher is simply not a good trainer. Was always very good at talking good strategy, but I think his methods are flawed.

I hope Quigg has not got someone proper to train him by the time he fights Frampton. Also hope Quigg brings Paul Smith along to carry the bucket like he did tonight, theres a bloke who also talks a good fight but stinks the place out when he gets into the ring more often than not.

Rant over :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭megadodge

What did you think of the stoppage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

What did you think of the stoppage?

it was premature, but I don't think the result would have been in any doubt. Derry was just waiting for the chance to land bombs and he would have landed more. Crolla has chronic head movement issues, far too easy to tag.

so yeah, premature stoppage but all in the name of restricting further punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,978 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anybody watch this?

One of the best fights I have seen in a while. Neat, technical, and damn intense.

I disagree as regards your view on the stoppage. The referee is the man closest to the action. Crolla was examind several times for eye damage, shipped a lot, and was hurt. The ref is the man who must ensure the safety of the fighter. I think he made a good call.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    I wasn't really that surprised with Crolla, no power whatsoever, too easy to hit, sky seem to have hyped him a little when he has only really been repackaged as a lightweight, he was a light puncher at super feather.
    Rant over :p

That was the big difference in the fight. Apart from body accumulation, Crolla wasn't really hurting Derry, but Derry's power was jolting and rocking Crolla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

Was a great fight and like walshb I have no issues with the stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

A great fight and i actually ended up rooting for Derry purely because he was the underdog! I thought the stoppage was just a little premature, thought the last flurry of punches didnt really connect with Crolla but as mentioned earlier the ref was closest to the action.

I was actually beginning to think that Derry was beginning to slow down quite a bit in the last round and i felt Crolla might have found a way back before Derry landed another big shot that rocked Crolla again.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    I was actually beginning to think that Derry was beginning to slow down quite a bit in the last round and i felt Crolla might have found a way back before Derry landed another big shot that rocked Crolla again.

He was slowing down, and considerably, and it came quite sudden too. The body shots got to him. Then he lands a flush left hook, and the fight completely turns, again! Derry's power was the factor. Not that it's great, just that bit more impactful on Crolla than Crolla's was on Derry.

Well I for one have major issues with the stoppage. Crolla wasn't badly hurt. The left hook caught him unawares and definitely shook him, but the followups mostly missed, then a long uppercut that didn't seem to have any visible effect connects and the ref stops it.

The analysts both thought it was premature and like a previous poster I also thought Matthews was slowing and definitely not taking body shots too well. I really feel Crolla was going to come back and that's what disappoints me, I think we were denied a great finish.

Again, I don't begrudge Matthews, but would have been disgusted if I was Crolla.

Well, just like us, Barry and Jamie were not in the ring. The referee is the man closest to the action, he sees and almost feels every shot. And, unlike you, neither Barry nor Jamie had major issues.

They also did say that the referee is there to protect, and that maybe it was a wee bit premature. I have seen fights stopped sooner. Crolla had taken a lot, was hurt several times, groggy several times and had that eye damage. The ref had been watching him for several rds. I think the referee got it spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Agree with walshb in relation to the stoppage. Ref is the closest man to the action so he's best positioned to know if the fight should be stopped.
    Great win for Derry

All the bad stoppages in history have been by the man "closest to the action"!!

While it's not the worst stoppage I've seen, that line is only ever used when people think "that shouldn't have been stopped".

All the bad stoppages in history have been by the man "closest to the action"!!

While it's not the worst stoppage I've seen, that line is only ever used when people think "that shouldn't have been stopped".

I wouldn't split hairs over it, but yes, the referee is the man closest, and it's him who must make a call based on ALL that has happened in the fight. Split second stuff at times. Their job is tough, and I believe many are criticised unfairly for stoppages they call.

Anyway, it's hardly Taylor-Chavez 1990.:)

Advertisement