Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bonesetter for calf galway?

Options
  • 21-04-2012 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

i have a calf, born about a week ago. massive calf, difficult calving. for the first few days he couildnt get up and had leg sort of thrown out from him. he is now able to get up with difficulty but the leg on the left hand side "appears" to be out of its socket in my un expert opinion. it seems that that side seems to hang down compared to the other one . his left hand side hip is far lower than his right even his tail is going with the dropped side. he has had the vet numerous times. nothing is broken and he has had injections which only appear to be pain killers. my question is 1. could the hip be out of it socket as that what it looks lie. 2. is there bonesetter or somone who could fix it? 3 . does anyone know of one in the galway or west in general area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Good bonesetter in Moate - westmeath. His name is Ger Costello.

great man with strong cattle so should be no probs to him with a calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Donoghue in Gort, he treats animals (mostly horses and Greyhounds) every Wednesday afternoon at McCarthy's pub (parking lot) in Kilbeacanty. I don't know what he is like with cattle but he is great with horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

What did the Vet say is wrong with him?

Injured back left, jacked out by the front legs? or was he breech?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭truebloodfan

any phone numbers, looked up those guys in the golden pages just there and cudnt find them, but maybe they are under a different heading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Donoghue is a butcher in Gort, so you should have no probs finding him.

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    What did the Vet say is wrong with him?

Injured back left, jacked out by the front legs? or was he breech?

he had to be jacked by the front legs, he was coming right way around but was simply to big to calve naturally. dont know if jacking caused damage wonderfull calf. its a pity what happened him. vet thought it might be nerve damage first, nothing broken but has to be helped to stand and then his left hand side then droops lower than his right

he had to be jacked by the front legs, he was coming right way around but was simply to big to calve naturally. dont know if jacking caused damage wonderfull calf. its a pity what happened him. vet thought it might be nerve damage first, nothing broken but has to be helped to stand and then his left hand side then droops lower than his right

I've seen many a big calf not get up for several days, and then stagger around for several more days, walking crooked, only to straighten up with time, whatever way they were lying in the cow it can take them time to come right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

EGAR wrote: »
    Donoghue is a butcher in Gort, so you should have no probs finding him.

A Butcher and a Bonesetter ....... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I've seen many a big calf not get up for several days, and then stagger around for several more days, walking crooked, only to straighten up with time, whatever way they were lying in the cow it can take them time to come right.

I dont think this had anything to do with the way he was lying in the cow - more to do with how it was extracted (not passing judgement, just clarifying).

Nerve damage is brilliant for bonesetters, kind of like divining.

If they're going to come right by themselves, they will do so in two weeks.

Most people go looking for help after a week.

And sure if they fail, wasnt it buggered anyway. Nobody remembers the failures.

LostCovey wrote: »
    Nobody remembers the failures.

Quite the contrary. The run of the mill blend into one another. The lost causes and hard luck cases live forever in my mind.

Maybe it's just me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Hi Bizzum,

I'd agree with you there and I think the bigger the calf the more bent out of shape that they can be, I'd say it's to do with sheer size within the womb.

Hard pull won't help but if you take him from the rear and he going out over himself on front legs a bit it can't be the pull but they straighten up mighty with time

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

had the exact same last september. smashing calf. i thought she'd never come to anything but she improved a bit and was helthy and hardy otherwise and i got to thinking a butcher would take her. she still improving, i reckon i might even get her going at the mart, i'm just hoping there's no trouble as she puts on weight. didn't realise there were men for that job so near us. if i had discovered boards.ie a bit sooner i might have a perfect heifer.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭valtraman

I have had some big calves caught at the hips then come they can have trouble standing , down on one side not able to take weight on the leg anyway I have had mostly good luck with a bonesetter here in wicklow in general vets know about health issues not bones .last one i had seemed to be coming right after a few days so i didnt get the bonesetter ,should have as theolder he got the more it came against him good luck

well when we saw she was having a hard time we got vet for her straight away. he was the one who pulled the calf. the problem is he seems unable i.e it "cud be" or it "might be", so we are just guessing.has definate problem getting up. left leg and hip looks dropped down . definately on different levels, tail going with dropped side. and cant put his weight on it or it collapses from under him. if possible i wud like to put him right cause when he gets heavier 3 legs wont support him if he stays like this. any diagnosis does it sound dislocated or am i barking up wrong tree?

Richk2012 wrote: »
    A Butcher and a Bonesetter ....... :D

well if he cant fix him he might buy him lol. 2 birds 1 stone :)

nah seriously, if tis possible to fix it id like to try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Is there a gap in stifle joint can you feel it with your finger

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

We a calf last year and one the year before, the exact same as you describe.
    Massives BYU BB calves, big pulls with the jack, by the Vet. Back left hip area lower than the right on both of them.
    I often wondered what was the reason. The Vet was levering the jack left and right to get the calf out - this would pressure on one hip more than the other? The Vet said in both cases he will come right but they never did.
    We had to leave them out over the winter as they could not get up on the slattes. Fine cattle but a lot of work.
    Did now realise a bone setter could do something for them. You might let me/us know how you get on, incase it happens again in the future.

im going to check for that gap in the stifle and post results. im going to give him a week to see if he appears to be getting any better if not im going to give the guy in moate a ring. you shud see the calf, he looked like he was at least 3-4 weeks old, the size of him when he was born, how she didnt have to get a c section i dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

how she didnt have to get a c section i dont know.

I think you have said it all there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement