Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silvercrest 80cm Satellite System-50 euro

Options
  • 21-04-2012 9:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

As above,,,this complete satellite system is only 50 euro in Bargain Base.

Lidl had it on sale last month for 90 euro,so 50 euro is a bargain.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Thanks, looks cheap, where is Bargain Base?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Oracle wrote: »
    Thanks, looks cheap, where is Bargain Base?

Gullivers Retail Park,Northwood,Santry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Interesting never heard of it, is this where Lidl sell their surplus stuff, is it an official Lidl outlet or third party?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Oracle wrote: »
    Interesting never heard of it, is this where Lidl sell their surplus stuff, is it an official Lidl outlet or third party?

Yes & Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

paddy147 wrote: »
    As above,,,this complete satellite system is only 50 euro in Bargain Base.

Lidl had it on sale last month for 90 euro,so 50 euro is a bargain.:)

The box is ok but throw the dish in the bin or use it as a bird bath.

I use the box to mess around with finding foreign channels (amazing how much free sport is out there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

zerks wrote: »

I use the box to mess around with finding foreign channels (amazing how much free sport is out there)

Can you get the same sport as sky sports or anywhere near it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Naked horizontal sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Eldrick

zerks, I have Lidl dish up for the past 4 years looks as good as when put up. I installed a Sky perforated dish in same location 18 months ago and its gone rusty
    regards Eldrick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

stupid advice. The dish is fine. Have a 60cm up 3 yrs @28e. Never an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Well I took a chance and bought 1 yesterday,aswell as 2 other set top boxes.

Got the lot for 100 euro all in.

2 satellite systems left in Bargain Base as of 5pm this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Eldrick wrote: »
    zerks, I have Lidl dish up for the past 4 years looks as good as when put up. I installed a Sky perforated dish in same location 18 months ago and its gone rusty
    regards Eldrick

I never mentioned using a sky dish,some of them are equally poor.You got lucky with your Lidl dish unlike many many more.

@ Wyndham,the naked horizontal sport is not as prevelant on foreign sats as it was a few years ago:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The dishes that used ship with Aldi and Lidl systems here were crappy 60cm affairs that were best used as bird baths. In the past 18 months- they've changed the dish and LNB to an 80cm dish with a more sensetive LNB (the cone that receives the signal bounced off the dish). The 80cm dish should be fine well out into 10-12 degrees W (though obviously good luck using it on a boat) for the Astra /Eurobird ranges of satellites. If you want to try for Atlanticbird or even Saorsat (on 8E) you're going to need a bigger dish- say a 1m dish (though obviously the way the conical overflow works- you might need a 1.2m dish for donegal, but ironically you could pick up Saorsat out in the Northsea back on an 80cm dish again (no overlapping frequencies). Anyone looking for Saorsat off the coast of Scotland- particularly around the Orkney's should be thrilled :)

Personally I'd toss the box- and pick up a secondhand Humax on adverts or elsewhere- its about the same price- and a hell of a lot more capable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

smccarrick wrote: »
    Personally I'd toss the box- and pick up a secondhand Humax on adverts or elsewhere- its about the same price- and a hell of a lot more capable.

+1, the Humax is well worth spending a little extra on.

Unfortunately, Silvercrest & other FTA boxes generally fall short for the following reasons:

- No 7 Day EPG, Now & Next only

- Require manual tuning to take account of transponder changes

- No DISEqc

- Poor UI

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Can you get the same sport as sky sports or anywhere near it

You can't get Sky on it.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    You can't get Sky on it.

You can get free-to-air channels from whichever satellite (or satellite group- a la Astra) that you point it at. No- you won't get the likes of Sky Sports- but you will get loads of sport- AFN is normally good- and the German channels carry more sport than you can watch (not all of it with English commentaries).
    If you are willing to explore the Atlantic birds and Eutelsat- you'll also get many direct feeds in the clear (note- you will need a bigger dish obviously for this).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭Zardoz

smccarrick wrote: »

You can get a basic Freesat box off Amazon for £35 .
    Good price and you get a 7 day epg .

Zardoz wrote: »
    You can get a basic Freesat box off Amazon for £35 .
    Good price and you get a 7 day epg .

£50 will buy you a really good second hand hi-def box- if you go for something like the Humax you get the best of both worlds- Freesat and you can save a second scan of whatever satellite(s) you decide to explore. Absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy these new.

Advertisement