Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing where you sit leaving cert?

Options
  • 21-04-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

i have already applied to sit L.C. in my current school but i have since decided it would be better to sit it at my old school.

Apparently it wouldn't be hassle to change location at this stage. however i am due to do my french oral this week in my current school.

wondering if i sit part of L.C. in one place, would i still be able to sit the rest of it at another place??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

i have already applied to sit L.C. in my current school but i have since decided it would be better to sit it at my old school.

Apparently it wouldn't be hassle to change location at this stage. however i am due to do my french oral this week in my current school.

wondering if i sit part of L.C. in one place, would i still be able to sit the rest of it at another place??

It's a bit messy from the SEC point of view.
    What is your reason for wanting to move?

While they will entertain genuine reasons, they're not too fond of people getting alternative arrangements on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the_big_shmoke

2 reasons really. convenience - i'm living away from home at my current school staying in digs. my old school is 2 minutes away from my own house. its just easier.
    secondly - not wanting to sound arrogant, my old school wouldn't be as strong academically as current school so i hav better chance of getting good grades given that markers can only give so many per group.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

2 reasons really. convenience - i'm living away from home at my current school staying in digs. my old school is 2 minutes away from my own house. its just easier.
    secondly - not wanting to sound arrogant, my old school wouldn't be as strong academically as current school so i hav better chance of getting good grades given that markers can only give so many per group.

You must have missed the thread on this topic earlier on in the week. You will not get better grades for sitting your exams with what you deem to be weaker students. Examiners are not mandated to give out a certain number of As, Bs, Cs etc per school. If you deserve an A you will get it whether you are in your old school or your new one.

Marking schemes are applied on a nationwide scale not on a localised scale. You will be marked according to the standard marking scheme and not in comparison to the students from the same centre as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭the_big_shmoke

if i do my french oral this week in my current school, would that rule me out of doing rest of L.C. at home in old school??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

if i do my french oral this week in my current school, would that rule me out of doing rest of L.C. at home in old school??

The short answer is no, it wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

yea i know a girl who done that and from what i remember it all went ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

First of all, it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Secondly, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that is really the only reason you want to swap schools for examination purposes-which is a wrong reason, to be honest.

Why don't you just stay where you are, sit your exams and do your very best? You will get the mark you deserve if you do that.

This sort of thing really bugs me, and shouldn't be allowed.

This sort of thing really bugs me, and shouldn't be allowed.

It often isn't. These sort of nonsensical rumours go around and the SEC usually spots the time wasters.

There are enough people who genuinely need to move exam centre for medical reasons, or because the family have moved, than the SEC spending time and hours (with an already depleted staff thanks to the PS cuts) that could be used better elsewhere, to entertain silly reasons for wanting to move.

Advertisement