Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo over scar

Options
  • 21-04-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I have a hypertrophic scar on the middle of my chest about half the size of a piece of sweetcorn, and half a dozen more scattered around it but these are tiny. I have have them for years and are the result of acne I think. Would it be possible to get a tattoo over it. I have one tattoo already and it healed fine without any reactions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Depends what the tattoo is, I suppose, but from the sounds of it it's a very small scar and wouldn't be a problem.

AFAIK my BCG developed into a hypertrophic scar (not 100% on my scar types, but this rang a bell as soon as I read it and it was definitely something out of the ordinary :pac:) and I had it completely covered with no problems or negative effects on the tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KatyBB

I have tattoos over big and small scars by both good and not so good tattooers. The tattoos over scars by good tattooers turned out great while the tattoos by bad tattooers look awful. So I am going to go with the find a good tattooer and let them have at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

Thanks for the replies, does it matter that the scar tissue is a raised bump? I was going to go with all star ink in Limerick as I got one there before. Im in the UK at the moment but will be returning for the summer next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

Thanks for the replies, does it matter that the scar tissue is a raised bump? I was going to go with all star ink in Limerick as I got one there before. Im in the UK at the moment but will be returning for the summer next Wednesday.

It's hard to tell really, like the tattoo won't make the scar disappear. Depends on the scar and your tattoo. But sure if you head into the parlour and have a chat with the artist you're going to, they'll be able to tell you what they can do with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chrismartin4u

Devil's Reject...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I have a tattoo over the scar from my appendectomy. No difference between ink in regular skin and scarred skin, but you should definitely run it by the artist before making a commitment.. although they'll obviously spot the thing and ask if you're sure about the job.

Advertisement