Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a Hurley

Options
  • 21-04-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

My friends asked could I make one so I said I would give it a go.

My first question is where is the best place to the ash?

And has anyone ever made one before?

I've completed many other woodwork projects but never a hurl so I'm a bit clueless as to what to look out for.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) The wood is the big problem. Hurley makers have to go to the UK to find Ash butts ( the base of the tree ) to get a curved grain in the boss.
    A hurley maker migh spare one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Thanks for the reply. I don't any hurley markers personally so I'll have to ring around unless there is someone on here that makes them. They dont look that hard to make, are they?

Is there anyone that offers courses on making hurleys?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Here are a few numbers to get you going and a little vid :Dhttp://tipperary.gaa.ie/list-of-hurley-makers

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Yes I feel like a genius for knowing this
    My hurl is a l'ash go leor eco hurl which means instead of timber from the base of the tree it is made of curved strips of ash glued together to simulate curved grain. My first one split after a year but it was fine because I got it for less than 15 euro. Also, only the bas is made in this style. The rest is ordinary ash attached onto the strips. It is all made from recycled ash, hence the "eco"

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Also, the design is very light and if you buy them they come with the best grip I've ever seen on anything ever

• Advertisement

Yes I feel like a genius for knowing this
    My hurl is a l'ash go leor eco hurl which means instead of timber from the base of the tree it is made of curved strips of ash glued together to simulate curved grain. My first one split after a year but it was fine because I got it for less than 15 euro. Also, only the bas is made in this style. The rest is ordinary ash attached onto the strips. It is all made from recycled ash, hence the "eco"

Thats logical.
    The hurleys are laminated so should be very strong. Do they need hoops ?
    For a historical overview see 'An Irishmans Diary' in todays ( monday May 21 ) Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lads I came across this vid of this guy making a hurley,just wondering what kinda of bit he was using on the Router? has he a jig underneath the hurley and a copying bit on the Router?

Routering starts at 1.33

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Looks to be a bearing-guided rounding over cutter.

;) Nice video, shame about the music !
    Seriously, it looks like he has a master template hurley and is using a bearing guided straight cutter to refine the blank. After that its sanding to shape.
    Looks like a goalkeepers hurley to me.

recipio wrote: »
    ;) Nice video, shame about the music !
    Seriously, it looks like he has a master template hurley and is using a bearing guided straight cutter to refine the blank. After that its sanding to shape.
    Looks like a goalkeepers hurley to me.

Took a closer look and it looks to be clamped to a straight edge underneath (possibly with a template for the grip end). It's definitely a rounded profile cutter though, you can see the rounded upper surface from where he starts routing @ 1:36-1:37.

• Advertisement

lgk wrote: »
    Took a closer look and it looks to be clamped to a straight edge underneath (possibly with a template for the grip end). It's definitely a rounded profile cutter though, you can see the rounded upper surface from where he starts routing @ 1:36-1:37.

I think your'e correct although the bearing would run along the bandsawn edge giving a rough profile. Probably sanded out the defects. ?

recipio wrote: »
    I think your'e correct although the bearing would run along the bandsawn edge giving a rough profile. Probably sanded out the defects. ?

I'm guessing he may have used a bearing-guided straight cutter first, then the rounding-over bit and just skipped that piece in the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rodney11

I am looking for advice on kiln drying ash for hurley making.

I am considering building my own kiln. From talking to different people about it I have become quite confused. Some people have recommended drying the planks with a dehumidifier with a little heat to help draw out the moisture. Others have recommended using heaters with fans and more tell me the heat will warp and split the planks.

I understand fans are crucial to establish an airflow to consistently and evenly dry the planks. I am unsure now if I should use heaters or dehumidifiers or if I should in fact use both. I also know that if the timber is dried too quickly it is not suitable for hurley making.

If anyone who knows anything about this and could grant me some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Advertisement