Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Mint 12

Options
  • 20-04-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

I last used Linux about 10 years ago when i was studying it in College. I have a laptop i don't use and have decided to install Linux Mint 12, to see how far it has come.

I have few quick questions for those that use this:

Can I install applications such as those i use on Windows (Microsoft Office, PhotoShop etc) ?

This Linux Mint provides codecs, but can i still install drivers for my graphics card, erthernet etc ?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭human 19

Microsoft office = Libre Office , probably included.
    Photoshop = The Gimp, if not installed then available via synaptic

BOTH FREE of course

what graphics card and ethernet cars are you using?

If you are used to windows, i suggest going for the KDE version. Personally I am waiting a few months for the latest long-term-support version of KDE to come out from mint

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

johndoe99 wrote: »

Can I install applications such as those i use on Windows (Microsoft Office, PhotoShop etc) ?
    No, but you can use alternatives such as Libre Office instead of MS Office, GIMP & others instead of photoshop.You may be able to use some Windows applications using Wine(http://www.winehq.org/). Or you can install Windows in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or similar.
    This Linux Mint provides codecs, but can i still install drivers for my graphics card, erthernet etc ?
    Linux Mint usually offers to download "restricted"(not open source) drivers for graphics cards,wifi etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

thanks for the info guys, i bit the bullet, i've just finished installing it, and seems i dont need the drivers, it asked to be connected online whilst installing, and it apparently downloaded what was needed.

Its working perfect now, have to say its come a long way in 10 years

thanks for the info guys, i bit the bullet, i've just finished installing it, and seems i dont need the drivers, it asked to be connected online whilst installing, and it apparently downloaded what was needed.

Its working perfect now, have to say its come a long way in 10 years

Thae fact that you were able to connect while downloading implies that the required drivers were already available...otherwise you wouldnt have been able to connect to instal the drivers.

What version number + desktop/windows manger did you install?

human 19 wrote: »
    What version number + desktop/windows manger did you install?

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=94

• Advertisement

Keep some space on your HD for mint 13 KDE when it comes out. In the meantime...have fun

Linux Mint 9 and Linux Mint 12 will be supported until April 2013.

The upcoming Linux Mint 13 will be supported until April 2017.

...btw, Im still on mint 9 as main distro (last long-term-support release)

any word on when 13 is to be released.

I might put 12 on my PC as well alongside Windows.

Theres no defo time. Ubuntu release every 6 mths regardles of whatever bugs are in the system, and mint dont release their fork until they have cleaned up said bugs and added their own stuff.

...which is why if you have a look at the forums of UBU and mint, you will find that the minters tend to be a more patient and understanding lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

It's usually around a month after Ubuntu is released - Ubuntu is due at the end of this month so hopefully Mint will be released a month later.

can 12 be updated to 13, or does 12 have to be fully removed and 13 installed.

• Advertisement

Yes you can upgrade from Mint 12 to 13, I prefer to start from scratch because of all my bad experiences with windoze.

Galen wrote: »
    I prefer to start from scratch because of all my bad experiences with windoze.

you got me with that term "windoze",:D i'm afraid to say i had to google it, i was expecting it to be another type of Linux that failed on you.

:D:D:D

you got me with that term "windoze",:D i'm afraid to say i had to google it, i was expecting it to be another type of Linux that failed on you.

:D:D:D
    I can't say that Linux has every let me down except with dial-up internet a few years but windoze :) did often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

johndoe: Have you tried the Cinnamon desktop environment?
    I think it's better than the default Gnome3 interface!

Instructions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/103691/install-linux-mints-new-cinnamon-desktop-on-ubuntu/

If you don't like it you can just logout and switch back.

Advertisement