Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to this!!!! Mature Student Nursing Advice - ANYONE!!

Options
  • 20-04-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys

I know there is soo many threads on this, but this idea is exciting to me and I havent a clue where to start or what to do..Eeeek!!!

Basically, I'm 27 this year, just had my first child she's 4months old and I'm looking for a total career change! I am interested in Children's nursing/Midwifery.

I left school when I was 14 and I have NO qualifications what so ever, I am working since I'm 14 in a few different companies in the offices doing your normal clerical/admin work.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about being a mature student and studying either Childrens Nursing or Midwifery.

I was told about this aptitude test that I would have to sit, now I seen a 'sample' of one on the net, the maths section totally knocked me for six. I couldnt answer one question :( Me and maths have never got on, only if its money :D I'm soo bad at maths I cant even explain! I've avoided it as much as I can all my life. When I was in school I just couldnt get it so my confidence in maths is 0

Is maths a huge part of nursing?
    Would I maybe need to do a few maths courses before going for this degree?

I have been told if I have any work experience or qualifications in the area it helps along with the results of the aptitude test. Is this true? I'm very confused as I was also told its based on the test ONLY no matter what your experience or qualifications.

I have checked out a pre nursing course, I'm thinking of doing it in the evenings when I'm off maternity and back at work, this should give me a good taster for nursing shouldnt it? Its €1600 so I dont want to be wasting my time or money, what do you think? This course is in Dorset Street College, I have been told to stay away from private colleges...

As you can see I've been told alot by alot of different people, so I need some personal stories...HELP please :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

poser wrote: »
    Hi guys

I know there is soo many threads on this, but this idea is exciting to me and I havent a clue where to start or what to do..Eeeek!!!

Basically, I'm 27 this year, just had my first child she's 4months old and I'm looking for a total career change! I am interested in Children's nursing/Midwifery.

I left school when I was 14 and I have NO qualifications what so ever, I am working since I'm 14 in a few different companies in the offices doing your normal clerical/admin work.

Can anyone tell me the best way to go about being a mature student and studying either Childrens Nursing or Midwifery.

I was told about this aptitude test that I would have to sit, now I seen a 'sample' of one on the net, the maths section totally knocked me for six. I couldnt answer one question :( Me and maths have never got on, only if its money :D I'm soo bad at maths I cant even explain! I've avoided it as much as I can all my life. When I was in school I just couldnt get it so my confidence in maths is 0

Is maths a huge part of nursing?
    Would I maybe need to do a few maths courses before going for this degree?

I have been told if I have any work experience or qualifications in the area it helps along with the results of the aptitude test. Is this true? I'm very confused as I was also told its based on the test ONLY no matter what your experience or qualifications.

I have checked out a pre nursing course, I'm thinking of doing it in the evenings when I'm off maternity and back at work, this should give me a good taster for nursing shouldnt it? Its €1600 so I dont want to be wasting my time or money, what do you think? This course is in Dorset Street College, I have been told to stay away from private colleges...

As you can see I've been told alot by alot of different people, so I need some personal stories...HELP please :D

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice

Firstly congratulations on the little one, secondaly get rid of that I can't do maths mentality it's a mentality it might take you a little bit longer to understand it but you can do it, as for the aptitude test I can't see how relevant maths is to nursing but i could be wrong also unfortunately the aptitude test may be very general but putting a bit of work in and brushing up on your maths might be an idea there are loads of free resources online I'll get some links later.

No experience and qualifications are taken into consideration, dont know any specifics about nursing maybe whatever college you are thinking of applying to could give you some info about pre nursing courses.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Emila

Hi Pose

First of all congratulations on the little one :) you made a wise decision on moving towards caring career.... Nursing/Midwifery - is very interesting and rewarding profession with its ups and downs... once you get test of it believe me you will fall in love with the nursing/midwifery profession. Very first thing u would need to do is to get test of it, you can enroll pre - nursing or health care support course for next Sep, there more tutorial hours you get there better for you. Daring this time you will be send for a work placement to a hospital or nursing home and it will give you some test what is nursing profession like. If you want to apply through FETAC you would need to achieve nearly all distinctions on your certificate, and at the end there is not much hope that you will be granted a place, but it's still good idea to hold FETAC cert under your belt. Gaining some experience as a health care assistant would be great for you, as it will give you some test on nursing career and as well you will have something to put on aptitude test. Regarding aptitude test: the test is not as hard as people thinks... u would need some time to understand the test and how it's done but once u understand it - you will be fine. You can enroll one day preparation course runs by PASS on behalf of Nursing Career Centre it costs 150 euro but it worth at the end. http://careerservices.ie/nursing here is their web address. And the most important is that you have to start believing in yourself because by doubting whether you can do it or not - will not make you better but will kill your confidence completely. Anybody can study it's just all matter of time and your will. Hope it helps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I'm a 3rd year Midwifery student, I'm 31 and my daughter has just turned 6.

The course is very challenging - there is a heavy workload, placements are a real slog and it can be emotionally, physically and psychologically draining at times. I would always say to someone with a very young child to think long and hard about the timing of taking on with an intensive course. I think the childrens nursing is even longer than the Midwifery course if I'm right? I dunno, I started in 2007 when my daughter was 18 months, but for one reason and another, I had two years out and returned to 2nd year in 2010. My daughter was going into Junior Infants at that stage and I just found that it was much, much easier to manage college when my daughter was that little bit older, in school she has plenty of other things to think about instead of wondering "where's my mammy?" constantly! That's just me of course, I know some people think differently but that was my experience.

edit : Maths are useful in nursing/midwifery for things like working out drug calculations, percentages etc, but you don't have to be a whizz at them, I certainly am not! Basic arithmetic is enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

Brilliant that you are thinking of a real vocation and career for life. Sop important to work at something you enjoy and are interested in.

However, I have to agree with Embee. Nursing can be a slog with placements, and you need to consider not only childcare, [placement working 12 hour shifts at nights/weekends], but also the toll of going back to college, assignments, cost, and time away from your special little one.... Just need to factor all those things in.

While you may be entitled to grant and free fees,by the time you would be on placcement in 2+ years time, placements will not be paid [in line with other health professionals on placement]. This presents a significant financial sacrifice for people, as you may not be in a position to undertake part-time paid employment while caring for small child and working on placement.

As for the maths, I would imagine you just need to know that for the exam? Maybe some nurses could correct me? For my course in occupational therapy we did a bit of statistics for research, which everyone had trouble with, so you wouldn't be on your own i'd imagine, in having maths difficulty. Subjects like physiology and anatomy can be trickier, but i'm not sure of their extent in nursing. I agree with emila though, if you have enough interest in the course, that will be plenty to drive you in studying :)

As to overall preparation for the course, as suggested there is the Fetac course, but i believe that is tough enough, and you have to get all distinctions to be considered for entry to nursing. Would you consider doing one of the return to education access courses? There are science based ones, and it would be an excellent way to get you back "into" the education scene, and set you up for taking the maths portion of the aptitude test. There's a good one in UCD and in Trinity, there are more, but i don't have details to hand :)

I love to hear about people interested in vocational careers, there's loads of resources here on the board, and lots of people going through the same thing or a few years ahead of you, so don't be afraid to ask for more help, or more specific questions or whatever.

good luck with it :D

Advertisement