Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Lather should i Use

Options
  • 19-04-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

I just changed from a Gillete Mach series to a Merkur Progress, so im a complete novice

I was using the foam Gel Shaving cream , but just wanted to know what folks here would recommend , if i should not be using a foam shaving cream

Do i have to use a Shaving brush and if so what type should i try any help please ,

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Canned shaving foam or gel tends to not offer all the benefits of using a shaving brush and soap/cream.

A good shaving lather will soften the beard before shaving, protect the skin during the shave and leave the skin in a good condition post-shave.

I have yet to find any canned shaving cream/gel that can offer all of the above at a high level - especially on the protection front.

A shaving brush not only helps apply the lather, it also helps lift the hairs pre-shave and exfoliates the skin.

My recommendation would be to pick up both a brush and a traditional shaving cream. Proraso creams are popular when starting out as they
    are easy to lather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

faolteam wrote: »
    I just changed from a Gillete Mach series to a Merkur Progress, so im a complete novice

I was using the foam Gel Shaving cream , but just wanted to know what folks here would recommend , if i should not be using a foam shaving cream

Do i have to use a Shaving brush and if so what type should i try any help please ,

thanks
    How are you getting on with the Merkur ? Thinking of doing the switch myself from the gilette. All i read is positives

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

i changed about a year ago and would recommend it to anyone over the cartridge razors. bit of an outlay to start with but very cheap in comparison after that

be warned though trying different soaps and blades is addictive:D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭echo.lima

OP, I'm using Palmolive cream in the green tube at the moment its fairly decent stuff. I have a more expensive shave cream by Men-u It cost around 15 lids and I prefer the Palmolive. Its cheap as chips but the only thing is I'm not sure if it is available in Ireland, You should be able to get it online but I got my supply from intermarce in Portugal I've 6 tubes of it,it cost me around 15-20 euro and I reckon I'm sorted for shaving cream for at least 2 years. You'll also need a brush for it, boots do a decent brush by Men-u. :cool: ya cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

^ Tesco stock Palmolive in Ireland, I would skip the Men-U brush for something like this http://www.shaving.ie/products/Omega-13522-Value-Boar-Shaving-Brush.html at a similar price point. Any of the brushes on that site will be good quality so spend what you can afford - a good brush will last you a lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Fahadjutt7866

The best leather depends on your needs. Full-grain leather is top-quality, durable, and ages beautifully. Top-grain is slightly lower but still good. Genuine leather is more affordable but less durable. Choose based on durability, budget, and desired appearance.

Advertisement