Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Systems??NEED HELP!!

Options
  • 19-04-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Ok, before I start, I know there is a thread on this already but I cant find it.
    I'm 22 weeks pregnant and decided that this week I'd start looking at travel systems. Oh my god...so bloody many! So, Im looking for help, what brands can people recommend?? Where would one get a good deal on one?? etc:D
    I'd be very grateful for any help!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I had total panics about this, in fact I melted down quite a few times.

First of all decide what sort of travel system you want, do you want one with 3 wheels, 4 wheels?

Do you need all terrain wheels if you live in the country?

I initially was going to go with the 3 in 1 travel system and then I wanted the Jane Travel system but after reading bad reviews I decided again and am now going to mothercare to get the Xtreme system as it's good value and is all terrain which is what I need.

Go into a few baby shops and ask them to show you how the buggies work and the pros and cons. I was in Mothercare yesterday and I thought they were briliant to be honest. Push them round and see what you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

Think about what you are looking for first before you go near any. Try to rule out what you don't want.
    We didn't want a 3 wheeler, just purely personal preference for us. And ruling out 3 wheelers really narrowed things down!
    Also plan your budget, I think some of them are so so expensive and from experience alot of people I know use the travel system for 6 months or so and then get a light stroller for throwing into the car.
    I didn't want to spend too much, if we have another baby soon I won't feel guilty about getting a double/tandem as we didn't spend alot on the travel system. You can get buggies that can be adapted into a double but I think it costs around €200 to adapt them and that's on top of what you've already paid!
    Finally don't forget space! We haven't a huge house so I didn't want a buggy with loads of bits and pieces to it, we have no room for a carrycot so that was out for me, however if you do have the space then the carrycot might come in handy for daytime naps!
    We ended up with a Graco Fusio, it's got a pramette which is like a carrycot for when the baby has to lie flat, then that turns into the buggy seat. You can also click the carseat into the chassis of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

I would seriously consider getting one that will convert to a double later on when no. 2 comes along (if that's in your plans). I bought the teutonia s3 and am now thinking about selling it.....as due no.2 in sept. Wish i had bought the babyjogger city select first time round. All of my friends that had baby no. 2 have bought some form of a double after spending money on singles. (Except for one as her first little man is 3.5). Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Making a few decisions before you start will really help narrow it down or at least rule many of them out. If you have a car fitting in your boot is key :)
    But are you willing to have wheels that can get a puncture? If not then you are looking at plastic or foam filled & if travelling on bumpy roads foam filled with good suspension will be required!
    How important is the size of the shopping basket? Do you pop out to the shops walking to pick up up stuff - if so then a big shopping basket will be important & lots have tiny baskets again this might cut them down for you.
    How tall are you & other people who will be pushing the buggy - some do not suit taller people either from a handle point of view or leg stride making them uncomfortable to push.
    Do you prefer the pram, seat etc to sit high or low? The bugaboo for example sits very low compared to others :)
    Do you love accessories? Some systems come with more than others - for example the uppababy has a coffee cup holder :)
    Are you planning more children - you might want to look at the ability to expand the buggy for two!
    Weight - some weigh a lot more than others :)
    Whether it will fold with the seat on - some don't which is just silly to me :)
    And of course budget!
    There are probably many more questions I'm sure but these might help you start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Thanks for the replies folks!
    Ye, I have narrowed it done a bit with like how many wheels, and types of wheels and so on. So I just think I'll have to go out and about and have a look at them all.:D
    Should be fun!!
    Will let ye know what we get! Thanks again!:D x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm equally overwhelmed & confused re travel systems but what I will say is we have taken Graco or Silvercross off our list as they are far too heavy for getting in and out of the boot. Maybe for some they are okay but for me with a bad back it's a no no.

That much I do know!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

a view from the total opposite side:

i'm on my second, i have a 18 month and a 3 month old. i have a double but really just use that for walks.

for the 3month old i use a petite star zia, its just a buggy that lies back flat. it folds very small and i keep it in the footwell between the drivers and back seat. i have a very thick footmuff that sits into the buggy to make it like a pram. at 3 months he likes to be slightly slanted so he can see out.

i was lucky enough to get a present of the travel system that i used for the first baby, if i was starting again i wouldnt buy one at all or i'd buy a second hand one and a new carseat.

its such a pity to spend so much on one when you may only use it for 5/6 months. better to spend money on days out with your baby.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 3 buggies.

The maxi cosi mura travel system which was absolutely brilliant,it did everything and more:)
    The next was a petit zia because the cupboard in the creche was tiny,it is my favourite stroller out there and is fine for shopping and short walks but it comes no where near the maxi cosi.
    I have a double buggy now and for long walks the 3 year old sits on the front and the 2 and 1 year olds in the seats,it was the best double that we could find and in my opinion would be more perfect with 4 wheels instead of 3.

You need to decide -
    will it be used for long walks?
    Do you want 1 buggy for everything of will you buy a stroller too?
    Do you have a car?
    will you use it on public transport?
    are you planning a 2nd child soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

What is the name of your double moonbeam, please?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The out n about nipper 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭ariana`

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have 3 buggies.
    The next was a petit zia because the cupboard in the creche was tiny,it is my favourite stroller out there and is fine for shopping and short walks but it comes no where near the maxi cosi.
    QUOTE]
    I 2nd this buggy as a great buy. I got the Petite Star Zia + when DS was 6months and i'm still using it, he's 2 now though he is getting too big for it now, i keep meaning to check the weight limit on it. It's a lovely light buggy, a great runaround, i keep it in the car all the time. We took it too Spain and they let us put it in the over-head compartment which was very handy.

We got a cheap travel system (britax vigour) i loved it for the first 6mths but in the end i was glad we didn't spend a lot on it as we haven't used it a lot since then although it's left opened up under the stairs in the house and when he was younger he napped in it sometimes when i couldn't get him to sleep in the cot.

Now i'm looking for a double! And i don't know where to begin. DS is a big boy so my options are few i believe but i know i will need one cos i love going for long walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

So went shopping yesterday and we got a Baby Elegance NeYo travel system and I love it :D I am like a child here looking at it as its the only thing we have bought!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Gee_G wrote: »
    So went shopping yesterday and we got a Baby Elegance NeYo travel system and I love it :D I am like a child here looking at it as its the only thing we have bought!!!

nice choice, i looked at them, really nice buggy.

ariana` wrote: »
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    I have 3 buggies.
    QUOTE]
    I 2nd this buggy as a great buy. I got the Petite Star Zia + when DS was 6months and i'm still using it, he's 2 now though he is getting too big for it now, i keep meaning to check the weight limit on it. It's a lovely light buggy, a great runaround, i keep it in the car all the time. We took it too Spain and they let us put it in the over-head compartment which was very handy.

We got a cheap travel system (britax vigour) i loved it for the first 6mths but in the end i was glad we didn't spend a lot on it as we haven't used it a lot since then although it's left opened up under the stairs in the house and when he was younger he napped in it sometimes when i couldn't get him to sleep in the cot.

Now i'm looking for a double! And i don't know where to begin. DS is a big boy so my options are few i believe but i know i will need one cos i love going for long walks.
    I walked 6+ km every day with the nipper and it was great,I did get a puncture once but I carry 80lb of kids on it :)
    The 2 year old is very big and the 3 year old is average to tall ,the 1 year old is tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Gee_G wrote: »

Snap (almost)!
    We went out last night & got the Baby Elegance beep system (2nd hand from Adverts mind you!) but yeah really like their travel systems. Seem to be decent quality, very reasonable prices (the new ones) and nice and light. Seem to have good reviews - that's what tipped me over the edge to get one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

oh, im sorry...

Don't worry! But thanks for thinking of me anyway. It's a great system very easy to work out and lovely to push about the place! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Had planned and paid for an Icandy peach but the supplier doesn't think it'll be here on time going today to pick another one perhaps the quinny moodd - any opinions greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Mink wrote: »
    Snap (almost)!
    We went out last night & got the Baby Elegance beep system (2nd hand from Adverts mind you!) but yeah really like their travel systems. Seem to be decent quality, very reasonable prices (the new ones) and nice and light. Seem to have good reviews - that's what tipped me over the edge to get one anyway
    We have this one too, love it! Ticked all the boxes and I didn't have to re-mortgage the house...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 AlisonRelihan

I'd recommend Bella Baby in oranmore or Dundrum. Their website is www.bellababy.ie
    We went for the Joolz Day travel system in denim http://www.bellababy.ie/joolz-p-2137.html
    You get 10% of all other purchases as a loyalty card owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

I thinking of getting the graco quattro deluxe, does anyone have any experience with this travel system or any graco?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

pushki wrote: »
    I thinking of getting the graco quattro deluxe, does anyone have any experience with this travel system or any graco?

We got the Graco Fusio haven't used it yet but I like it, and the price is reasonable. Got it in Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

Hi I know this thread is really old but I was wondering did anyone have any thoughts on the Baby Elegance Ego Travel System and the Silvercross 3D Travel system? trying to decide between the two....:o

Advertisement