Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joint ill in lambs one month old

Options
  • 19-04-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

i have a number of my best lambs taking joint ill most about a month old.
    They are on good grass with their mothers and nothing is being fed. I thaught joint ill was normally in young lambs in lambing pens or in dirty conditions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sounds odd for strong lambs outdoors all right, have you had your vet have a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

i have a number of my best lambs taking joint ill most about a month old.
    They are on good grass with their mothers and nothing is being fed. I thaught joint ill was normally in young lambs in lambing pens or in dirty conditions
    Are you sure it's joint ill, have they a high temperature, lame lambs of that age can look very crippled at that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

rancher wrote: »
    Are you sure it's joint ill, have they a high temperature, lame lambs of that age can look very crippled at that age.

we got a lot of scalds which really humped them

OP by any chance did you ear tag the lambs ? has been mentioned as a source of infection

• Registered Users Posts: 22 foyle

Give them alamycin....that will sort them out. It happens to outdoor healthy lambs during wet, cold weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

foyle wrote: »
    Give them alamycin....
    As a POM, the OP will have to get that (or a prescription for it) from their vet, who will in any case be much better placed (and qualified!) than any of us in Internetland to provide a specific diagnosis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

did you tail dock them or anything like that lately. make sure and check its not scald from long wet grass first

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Poor Farmer in the hills

took acouple of lambs to the vet diagnosed joint ill and gave me linco spectin
    No bother curing the lambs but wonder why they got it in first place. vet had no answer for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

No bother curing the lambs but wonder why they got it in first place.

Ticks?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

How do you kinow if a lamb has joint ill.?

I lamb outdoors (Scotch ewes) and I have 3 lambs with swollen front knee joints on one leg.

Is this joint ill ?

I've only had sheep for 4 years and this is the first time I have seen it.
    I don't dip their navels.

should not be ticks all treated with vector

• Advertisement

Hillfarmer it sounds very much like joint ill . No explaination for it seems to be a lot this year. Give linco spectin every day to cure it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Give linco spectin every day to cure it

Does the safety of this not depend on their age?

Advertisement