Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Internship in Ireland

Options
  • 19-04-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Some information which may be of interest to people.
    In a meeting with the Medical Council two years ago a classmate was told that those in the bottom 10% of the class may find it difficult to secure an intern post.
    The Second Interim Implementation Report just released by the HSE has pretty much confirmed that.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/corporate/etr/Second%20Interim%20Implementation%20Report%20April%202012.pdf

Page 13 it breaks down the applicants in competition for intern posts, there are 567 positions this year according to the posts advertised by the HSE.
    The number of EEA applicants is 636 and the total number, including non EEA, of applicants is 995.

While it looks like it's massively oversubscribed the number of total applicants isn't really that high. A good number of the non EEA applicants will match back home and some of the EEA applicants abroad will get places in their home country but the fact remains that there will be more applicants than intern posts.
    Any non EEA students are automatically placed behind EEA students regardless of respective class rankings so it will be immensely difficult for those who remain in Ireland to get an intern post.
    For the EEA students it looks like those in the bottom 8% ish of the class will find it difficult to get a post.

The report acknowledges this issue and the fact that this was known since 2006. It suggests some potential solutions but any solutions won't come into effect for some time and The oversubscription will only get worse as the larger gradmed intakes graduate.

The report also details the centile rankings, page 39, needed to get an intern post in the different medical school networks. It can be expected that these will increase quite a bit over the next few years.

List of this years intern posts here
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Medical_Dental/NCHDs/Interns/Available_Intern_Posts_2012_-_Amended.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Good read, thanks for posting.

I want to know where this person was working!
    Report wrote:
    Just one respondent indicated that EWTD had been implemented

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

That's a really great article, it highlights the fact that some day medical graduates may not be guaranteed a job which is a scary thought! It also puts alot of pressure on any non-EU who come to Ireland and want to make it their home or start a relationship here and want to intern here. The medical schools and HSE need to sit down as currently the medical schools are increasing numbers while the HSE can't afford more interns!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

This is from an email I just received from our intern coordinator

I wish to update you in relation to the position regarding the availability of intern posts:

The HSE has confirmed that an unprecedented number of applicants for internship have withdrawn from the recruitment process for intern posts commencing July 2012. The existing number of intern posts is sufficient to cater for the EU applicants remaining in the process and some non-EU applicants.

I hope this alleviates concerns you have about intern posts commencing this July, however if you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭roro1neil0

an unprecedented number of applicants for internship have withdrawn from the recruitment process

why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 chocolate doc.

Hello,

I read what you write abow and I thought that you can help me.

I'm student of medicine form Poland. Now I'm at the 5th year and in June next year I'll graduate. I'm thinking about internship in Ireland. I'll get my diploma conferred with a valid medical degree in June next year. In this situation can I apply for an intern post in 2012/2013?

roro1neil0 wrote: »
    why?

some may have gotten internships in their home country or Irish students may have gotten positions abroad.
    Hello,

I read what you write abow and I thought that you can help me.

I'm student of medicine form Poland. Now I'm at the 5th year and in June next year I'll graduate. I'm thinking about internship in Ireland. I'll get my diploma conferred with a valid medical degree in June next year. In this situation can I apply for an intern post in 2012/2013?

This link will provide you with information regarding applying for an internship in Ireland.

information on the first stage of the application process
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Publications/corporate/etr/Ireland%27s%20Intern%20Guide%20July%202012.pdf

and stage 2 of the process
    http://www.medicine.tcd.ie/assets/pdf/A_Guide_to_Application_and_Appointment_to_Intern_Training_in_Ireland_2012,_Part_2.pdf

Thanks for help, I've read them before.
    But maybe you can tell me in with month student from Ireland graduate theirs medical schools?

UCD graduation occurs in June, I assume the other colleges will be the same.

That's great! I was afraid that they are graduating earlier.
    Thanks for help. Good luck on your intern post :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement