Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swollen gum leaking pus??

Options
  • 19-04-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Quick dental question about month ago I got a filling in a front tooth. It was quite deep filling and dentist said may take week or 2 to settle. After 3 weeks it hadn't settled it was still sensitive so I went back and dentist did small amount of work on it and said it will be fine.

Yesterday my gum around tooth was swollen and overnight swelling got worse. Today every so often puss is leaking from gum and swelling has gone. I have been using warm salt water last three days and am wondering is that clearing the infection or is it something worse??

Dentist is closed till Monday and I have a thing with teeth so won't go to another dentist! Am using painkillers but tooth is not sore today and sesitivity is getting better.

Any thoughts/ advice?? Cheers in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭hg03 eyu

Diagnosis: classic symptoms of a dental abscess

Treatment: Extraction or root canal treatment

Given that it is a front tooth I assume you will decline extraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Thanks for the reply obviously have to go to dentist how fast can abycess and root canal be done if required? I'm due to get married in 2 weeks!! Or is there any medication or treatment I can get that will get rid of pain/ abycess and I'll be able to get root canal after honeymoon??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

talla10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply obviously have to go to dentist how fast can abycess and root canal be done if required? I'm due to get married in 2 weeks!! Or is there any medication or treatment I can get that will get rid of pain/ abycess and I'll be able to get root canal after honeymoon??

Op, go in the morning, if you leave it untreated you could end up with a swollen face and/or a very serious infection on your big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

talla10 wrote: »

if you get root canal treatment done now you will be fine after a few days. With 2 weeks to go you should be ok (despite the present discomfort)

Advertisement