Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New motorhome query

Options
  • 18-04-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Recently bought first motorhome. We had previously rented one in Canada and really loved the freedom. But we didn't have to worry about maintenance. Now we feel we have a lot to learn. It's a Fiat Ducato 2006 originally imported from Germany. We are complete novices regarding maintenance. It's been sitting in the driveway since we brought it home a week ago. Before we take it away we need to know the following: We will be using it mostly in France so we are trying to figure out what gas to get. It has room for two 11 kg. Can anybody advise us whether and where to get Propane cylinders that and connectors suitable or France? Or should we stick with the Calor cylinders. The waste water tank is full and we don't know where would be a good place to empty it? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

The grey water from sink and shower??
    Let it down a drain somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Happy Motoring.

If the van is German originally the gas should be setup for European propane. Nearly all the decent service stations in France sell gas cylinders as well, certainly the ones connected to the Hypermarkets do anyways (they tend also to have the cheapest fuel) so you could wait until then to get a new gas bottle.

I have one 11kg gas bottle and its going 4 years now, plan on updating in France again this year.

If the gas bottle already in the van is calor, then stick with that, just check to see how full it is but unless you are running both fridge, heating and cooker on gas all the time its unlikely you'll run out.

Usually with the waste water tank you'll have an extra hose which can be connected to the outlet, just find a drain or your garden and let it loose.

Chemical toilet disposal is a more difficult matter but in France plenty of either aires or campsites to do that.

France is awesome for motorcamping, enjoy it.

OB.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Hi Colette X. We're in the same boat as you, getting used to our new MH before heading to France in the Summer.
    We also have an 11Kg propane tank in there - but because it says Calor Gas on it, I'm assuming it's set up for irish regulators. I reckon its at least half full, so I'm going to get a 2nd full one and hope the 2 of them are enough for 6 weeks in France - OuterBombie, you reckon this would be enough?
    I think there's adaptors to convert an Irish gas system into French, so maybe thats an option also, to have one of them and go to France with no cylinders and buy one there - then you have the reassurance of easily being able to get a top-up cylinder if needed.
    But it all depends on which system you're on - what's written on your existing cylinder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Its the heating and water heating that are the gas killers I worked out these on another thread. You probably wond be needing the heating in France in the summer.:)
    moodrater wrote: »
    small absorption fridge - 0.5l/day
    2 burner hob 0.4l/hour
    smev oven 0.14l/hour
    truma water heater 0.22l/hour
    small trumatic heater up to 0.5l/hour

6 weeks fridge = 21liters = 10.6kg basically one bottle of gas
    Hob about the same based on just over 1 hour per day

If you think you'll run out the key is to use electricity to run the fridge, boil kettle when its available, maybe pick up this small induction hob if your pots will work with it: http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_21543.htm

I can see why people go for the compressor fridges they'll run away for days on the leisure battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Be sure that the gas connection is compatible for France if you dont intend to use Calor and Irish regulator.
    My van came in from Germany and I bought the first bottle of gas when we got to France. I was very lucky to find a helpfull attendand in the petrol sation where i bought the gas bottle as it wouldn't fit the German reg and he gave me a French one and fitted it free gratis.
    That bottle lasted me for over 8 weeks of mainly hob use with very occcasional fridge and water heating.
    Enjoy France, its an amazing holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Colette X

Thanks everyone for the advice.:) New to Boards.ie so sorry for delay in reply. We figured out how to empty the waste. The toilet was easy, it is just a container that you empty down a sewer. The grey waste was easy too but the only problem is that the indicator light is still blinking that it is full. Even though it was originally a German import, the previous owner, who never took it outside Ireland, must have converted the gas. It is a Calor yellow cylinder, 11.34kg Butane with the normal (what you would use in a Super Ser) connection (is this called the 'regulator'?). We filled the fresh water from our garden hose. Seems to hold a lot. We don't know how much as the manual is in German which we don't understand. We are wondering if we would be better to lose a lot of it (the water, not the manual - or maybe both!) before we travel and just keep it topped up as we travel. Can't seem to find an owner's manual in English online. Anybody got any ideas? Heading off to Aldi to see if they still have the induction hob in stock.

Thanks again for all the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Whats the make and model someone may have an english manual. I would always sterilise the fresh water tank before use.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

Colette X wrote: »
    We filled the fresh water from our garden hose. Seems to hold a lot. We don't know how much as the manual is in German which we don't understand. We are wondering if we would be better to lose a lot of it (the water, not the manual - or maybe both!) before we travel and just keep it topped up as we travel.

I'd only put in 20 ltrs of water if you are heading to France - or even empty it. Water is to be found at every aire etc. I keep a bit in just in case. Every liter is a kilo so if you are putting in the miles, carting 100kg of water around will be expensive. Keep your waste tanks emptied regularly for the same reason. Good news is that diesel in France at the moment is €1.38-€1.41/litre, though you'll be hit for €1.59 on motorway service stations.

There's a couple of Haynes manuals about owning a MH, written by same guy. Found them invaluable when I started out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Colette X

Colette X wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the advice.:) Can't seem to find an owner's manual in English online. Anybody got any ideas?

It's a Fiat Ducato Chausson Trigano F11 Welcome 8 2006 2.8.

Thanks for tip off re diesel prices in France and about the water. I am going to run out all the water through the system and see if it the waste full alarm light stops blinking. Just hope nobody is going to get on my case for wasting water;) I read somewhere that you should put a little Milton in the fresh water tank. Paddyp, do you mean to put it into the tank for a while to sterilise it and then flush it out before refilling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I there's space for two bottles in the gas locker I don't know why you shouldn't install a duplex system with two different regulators and a changeover valve and not worry about where you run out. Maybe there's a legal reason not to?

If the water tank hasn't been used for a while it's worth disinfecting it, there may also be smells/tastes that are less than pleasant. For ongoing use, especially with a full tank in summer you can use very dilute milton to keep the water safe but if you're travelling with only a day or two of water it's hardly worth the bother. If you do use it, remember to adjust the amount to suit the volume of water you're putting in or the dilution rate will go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭Macy0161

moodrater wrote: »
    If you think you'll run out the key is to use electricity to run the fridge, boil kettle when its available, maybe pick up this small induction hob if your pots will work with it: "http://aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_21543.htm
    We have electric boiling rings from Argos (I think we paid around €20 as they were on offer), and have a small travel kettle. We also have a small plug in oil heater, although didn't really use it. We usually only stay on sites, so generally have hook up - I think we only used the gas a couple of times last year. Our view is if you're paying for the hook up, maximise it's use!

Advertisement