Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple TV

Options
  • 19-04-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

If was thinking of getting the aTV 1 for USB and HDD (internal)
    link
    What do you think?
    I was also thinking of putting on XBMC and Boxee using this guide.
    Btw is XBMC or Boxee better on aTV. I have XBMC on laptop and have had boxee for short time (1 week) so I can't say which is better, what do you's think is better on aTV? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's limited to 720p, Get some other device like the Boxee now or wait for the new one that does 1080p (will need to wait till the XBMC community hack it)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's limited to 720p, Get some other device like the Boxee now or wait for the new one that does 1080p (will need to wait till the XBMC community hack it)

At the moment I only do 480, 576 and low frame rate (YIFY) 720/1080p, so I don't need the 1080p really. The main reason I am choosing this one is for the internal storage and the USB slot for my portable HDD, I would be getting the 2 or 3 otherwise. I don't have a NAS and don't want to keep my computer running the whole time, and I have a holiday home in Donegal that doesn't have internet and the options to get internet aren't great. No UPC. Vodafone coverage is terrible. 3 coverage isn't great. No phone line for eircom. So, I would like to be able to use the HDD so I can watch my movies there. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Confusingly the picture in the link is of the ATV2. But if it has 160GB HDD then the item itself is the Apple TV1.

For the ATV1 I think it will do 720p stock, but you need to add a Broadcom Crystal decoder card for 1080p.

I think I would go with a WDTV or Boxee Box personally. Just less hassle in getting your stuff to play.

Confusingly the picture in the link is of the ATV2. But if it has 160GB HDD then the item itself is the Apple TV1.

For the ATV1 I think it will do 720p stock, but you need to add a Broadcom Crystal decoder card for 1080p.

I think I would go with a WDTV or Boxee Box personally. Just less hassle in getting your stuff to play.

My friend did it and said it was a piece of cake to get xbmc working. less than an hour and once you have it set up it works brilliant.

Yeh I think it can do 720p stock. I don't think I need the CHD for YIFY's low quality 1080p's though. Boxee is a bit dearer and when I had it on my laptop I didn't like it. XBMC seems to have everything. I think after setup Apple TV + XBMC would suit my purposes. I had WDTV on trial from a friend before but it didn't have a good library organisation at all.

Boxee does seem good but im hooked on xbmc. I'll give it another go on laptop and see how good it is. Thanks.

Boxee on the laptop and Boxee box are completely different, the laptop version isn't getting any more updates/features.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I've a WD Tv Live and a 1TB HDD. Works nicely.

BrianD wrote: »
    I've a WD Tv Live and a 1TB HDD. Works nicely.

Yeh, but as I said above it doesn't have library information on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I have both. Boxee used to be the best thing ever, but it's gotten pretty slow over the last few updates.

Boxee is twice the price, but still much better (for the moment)

banquo wrote: »
    I have both. Boxee used to be the best thing ever, but it's gotten pretty slow over the last few updates.

Boxee is twice the price, but still much better (for the moment)

Ok, I'll look at some vids on it now. What are the advantages/disadvantages of XBMC on aTV
    Boxee on aTV
    Boxee on Boxee
    Thanks

Just for note: the only Boxee really worth having is the Boxee Box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

If you are willing to actually put something together and install software, set it up etc, then a HTPC with XBMC is the best option. And you can do it for under €200 no problem.

If you want something similar but without the initial setup/build, then a boxee box seems like a good option. Maybe its got some firmware/speed issues so waiting for the next one might be appropriate. (i understand a lot of the issues are due to intel not releasing dev kits etc)

For me a hacked Apple TV is too much hassle and you're trying to make something do things it wasnt supposed to. I've seen so many problems and troubleshooting threads regarding XBMC on ATV on the XBMC forums. Just seems like it is something you are constantly fighting/maintaining.

If you are willing to actually put something together and install software, set it up etc, then a HTPC with XBMC is the best option. And you can do it for under €200 no problem.

If you want something similar but without the initial setup/build, then a boxee box seems like a good option. Maybe its got some firmware/speed issues so waiting for the next one might be appropriate. (i understand a lot of the issues are due to intel not releasing dev kits etc)

For me a hacked Apple TV is too much hassle and you're trying to make something do things it wasnt supposed to. I've seen so many problems and troubleshooting threads regarding XBMC on ATV on the XBMC forums. Just seems like it is something you are constantly fighting/maintaining.

To be honest I wasn't really impressed with boxee by vids. It seems like a bit of a fail attempt XBMC, the only good thing being social integration, which I don't think is needed on a STB/HTPC.

@Armitage I want something small though. I was looking around online and found an emachines ER1401 for £110. Does anyone have it or think it seems any good?

For customisation for those of us who like tinkering, it's like an Apple version of XBMC. However, in terms of beauty and usability, it's really something. I've tried them all and have really fallen for the Boxee Box. Only problem is the price point though.

banquo wrote: »
    For customisation for those of us who like tinkering, it's like an Apple version of XBMC. However, in terms of beauty and usability, it's really something. I've tried them all and have really fallen for the Boxee Box. Only problem is the price point though.

What do you mean? Can you hack it?

I don't see any real advantages for it over Apple TV + XBMC. I really don't see any need for Social Integration, it's only noticeable advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Don't agree with that at all to be honest. I have my Apple TV2 running XBMC and playing content from my hard drive which is plugged into my router. It's fantastic, definitely my best purchase to date!

L'prof wrote: »
    Don't agree with that at all to be honest. I have my Apple TV2 running XBMC and playing content from my hard drive which is plugged into my router. It's fantastic, definitely my best purchase to date!

I haven't done it, but initial setup doesn't seem difficult at all, as for maintaining it I have not seen many issues yet.

multimate wrote: »
    What do you mean? Can you hack it?

I don't see any real advantages for it over Apple TV + XBMC. I really don't see any need for Social Integration, it's only noticeable advantage.

Because the Boxee Box just works, no hacking needed, no losing the warranty. Its GUI is well laid out and intuitive, my Mam and Dad, (both of whom I'd class as 12 O'Clock flashers, especially my dad) have absolutely no problem using it. My 4 year old niece has no problems finding and playing her movies. I've yet to find a file it can't play.

There is no hacking, it's completely locked down. They had to do this so they could get Netflix and others officially on board.

No 1080p full HD, 720p only, as has been said before.

PogMoThoin wrote: »

No 1080p full HD, 720p only, as has been said before.

Apple TV3 will be jailbreakable soon and that plays 1080p. 720p will suit the ops needs too, so what's the issue here?

Apple TV3 will be jailbreakable soon and that plays 1080p. 720p will suit the ops needs too, so what's the issue here?

Need USB for HDD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

I have a new ATV3 , a present , its pretty much useless out of the box unless you have a lot of paid for content from itunes.

No usb port , no nas access over the network port , nothing to see but Apple controlled content from the itunes store.
    Netflix , its only useful feature as far as I'm concerned , is currently not working on the device!

Against other media players of the same price range , its laughably useless.

A jailbreak is a long way off apparently , see here.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/jailbreak/why-1080p-apple-tv-is-hard-to-jailbreak/

andy1249 wrote: »
    A jailbreak is a long way off apparently , see here.

http://www.ijailbreak.com/jailbreak/why-1080p-apple-tv-is-hard-to-jailbreak/

I've seen newer reports stating that it isn't as far off as that. Once you can jailbreak it, it's a fantastic media player and I wouldn't even look at any of the others.

I have the ATV2 at the moment and it does everything I want it to, I'm not even too bothered about 1080p right now, so I can afford to wait until the ATV3 is jailbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread.

Does anybody know anywhere I could get a brand-new ATV2? Any shops or private sellers? Might be interested in second-hand but would prefer brand-new. I know its a very small margin there woudl be any.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

Does anybody know anywhere I could get a brand-new ATV2?

New , no , they are only available second hand and because the jailbreak for the ATV3 is still nowhere in sight most sellers have taken the opportunity to price gouge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

andy1249 wrote: »
    New , no , they are only available second hand and because the jailbreak for the ATV3 is still nowhere in sight most sellers have taken the opportunity to price gouge.

Thats as much as I assumed. I reckon their could be some indie stores with some extra stock.

More in hope somebody stumbled into an electronics shop with them.

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread.

Does anybody know anywhere I could get a brand-new ATV2? Any shops or private sellers? Might be interested in second-hand but would prefer brand-new. I know its a very small margin there woudl be any.

Thanks.

I'd say you'll definitely get one on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Has anyone here modified an Atv 1 with the broadcom chip and jailbreak? Is it something worth doing considering that I have seen atv1's for as little as 60 yo yo's add the broadcom chip for 50 snots (guesstimate) and jailbreak. If it's half as good as some of the videos iv seen then you would be in business. All I need is ability to play low rate (yifi) files and stream tv shows etc through xbmc plugins like 1channel. I have a portable 1tb hard drive at the moment, would I be able to plu it straight into the Atv or will I need to get a router with a usb port?

johnybean wrote: »
    Has anyone here modified an Atv 1 with the broadcom chip and jailbreak? Is it something worth doing considering that I have seen atv1's for as little as 60 yo yo's add the broadcom chip for 50 snots (guesstimate) and jailbreak. If it's half as good as some of the videos iv seen then you would be in business. All I need is ability to play low rate (yifi) files and stream tv shows etc through xbmc plugins like 1channel. I have a portable 1tb hard drive at the moment, would I be able to plu it straight into the Atv or will I need to get a router with a usb port?
    Where do atv1s go for 60 quid?
    You can use USB once jailbroken by the way and I think chd cards are only bout 20 (ebay) there's 2 different card models by the way 10 and 25

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

I have seen them on donedeal from time to time, cheapest one I have seen so far was 60 quid but they usually average at around 80 or 90. Whats the difference between the two card numbers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement