Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot rewind TV3 Sky Plus recordings

Options
  • 19-04-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

At first I thought it was my Sky plus box acting up, but a few other people have told me lately that they cannot rewind any recorded TV3 programmes. The same thing occurs when using live pause. All other channels seem to be fine.

Something is very odd about TV3 in the past few weeks. There is another thread about the incorrect aspect ratio. It defaults to 4.3 - giving you a squashed picture which you have to manually change to widescreen with the TV remote. All other channels do this automatically.

My box is a standard one (not Hi-Def) and is connected by a scart lead.

I have sent an email toTV3 but so far have got no reply. So I sent one to Sky today.

Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Have u tried unplugging it or doing a housekeeping on the box?

do a house keeping by pressing services
    press no 4 the 0,1 selct

I think its then option 7 from top of my head...or option 8 will blank it back to factory settings..

Use the housekeeping and it will defrag and speed up your drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 foglu

I would do a rebooting if I thought it was my own particular Sky box, but it's happening with my sister and my nephew who live miles away. I could be wrong but I think the fault lies either with Sky or TV3.
    I'd like to know if anybody else has experienced this before I do a system reset (and lose some recordings!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

foglu wrote: »
    I would do a rebooting if I thought it was my own particular Sky box, but it's happening with my sister and my nephew who live miles away. I could be wrong but I think the fault lies either with Sky or TV3.
    I'd like to know if anybody else has experienced this before I do a system reset (and lose some recordings!)

As I said do the housekeeping option and it will defrag your drive you will not delete any of your recording. It is the same function as defragging your drive it will move any empty spaces left behind when deleting recordings and move the empty space to the end making the drive faster to access etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

I never watch tv3 but just recorded off it to check mine live pause and + are rewinding but the picture is gone, the screen is green and black squares my box is less than 4 months old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

TV3 recorded programmes pause and rewind just fine for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    TV3 recorded programmes pause and rewind just fine for me.
    It seam to be a bit hit and miss

is it possible to upload videos here?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

At first I thought it was my Sky plus box acting up, but a few other people have told me lately that they cannot rewind any recorded TV3 programmes. The same thing occurs when using live pause. All other channels seem to be fine.

Something is very odd about TV3 in the past few weeks. There is another thread about the incorrect aspect ratio. It defaults to 4.3 - giving you a squashed picture which you have to manually change to widescreen with the TV remote. All other channels do this automatically.

My box is a standard one (not Hi-Def) and is connected by a scart lead.

I have sent an email toTV3 but so far have got no reply. So I sent one to Sky today.

Anyone else have this problem?

Have the same problem, all other recordings working fine just cant rewind anything from tv3.
    Unplugged the box overnight but made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Discovered the same problem with tv3 recordings after reading this. Doing the housekeeping trick solved the problem for me but only with recordings i made after the housekeeping. All previous recordings still wont rewind properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I heard the missus complaining a couple of days ago about picture breaking up while she was rewinding a recording. I asked if she could recall what channel it was (deleted now btw) and I was told TV3.

I did the housekeeping trick as suggested but it still won't behave. It must have something to do with the broadcast signal but how that could be is beyond me.
    I'm just wondering if it affects people with older Sky plus boxes. Has anyone with a HD box (and a HDMI connection) come across this?

• Advertisement

I use a HD box with HDMI and it was fine yesterday. I will record another programme and see if that's ok

I got a reply from Sky about this and all they suggested was a planner rebuild or else pay 65 euro to talk to a technician.
    I did the planner thing as they suggested but (as I expected) the problem is still there.
    I suggested to them that they contact TV3 but I won't hold my breath. It's my wife who mostly watches TV3 so I've told her she can get the programmes she likes and a better picture on the UTV or ITV channels (only they cannot record).

No reply from TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

or else pay 65 euro to talk to a technician.
    Thats just soooo wrong. You could buy a new box for that.

It's my wife who mostly watches TV3 so I've told her she can get the programmes she likes and a better picture on the UTV or ITV channels (only they cannot record).
    Why not get a card and do the old "card trick". That will allow you to record ITV.

muffler wrote: »
    Thats just soooo wrong. You could buy a new box for that.

Why not get a card and do the old "card trick". That will allow you to record ITV.

Thanks for the suggestion! As it's only one channel and we can still record and playback, it's hardly worth the trouble.
    It's a rather unique problem and I suggested to Sky that they contact TV3. I'd love to know how many people have this problem without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

Even though the prob was sorted for me after housekeeping yesterday. The problem seems to have returned to my old pace sky+ box. I will try housekeeping again but maybe time for a new sky box.

After doing tonights housekeeping. Problem not solved and also noticed box wont connect to phoneline. Still strange that it only seems to be TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 27 celticsibh

I am also having the same problem with tv3, so is my mother and also my brother. When I rang sky about it last week, they told me it was my sky box and I'd have to pay 100 for a technician to come out. Sorry, but it's not my sky box when so many other people are having the same problem. They tried to tell me that no one else had reported the problem, so get ringing sky people and let them know that there IS a problem.... My problem is still not sorted btw....

I tried another recording and it plays, rewinds etc without incident. I am using an Amstrad HD box. What box are you all using?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

My mother is having the exact same problem and it's only with TV3. Box is around 50% full.

I tried all the resets/defrags etc. last week and the problem is still there.

When you go to rewind it won't, it's like it pauses. Signal strength is perfect and there wasn't bad weather either while recording.

It's a Thomson non HD box.

I don't seem to be having the problem with an Amstrad HD box.

My sister has a much newer box than mine (I don't think it's hi-def) but I'm almost sure it's a Pace. However, we both have the rewind problem. I don't think the age of the box has any bearing on it.
    I seem to remember vaguely something like this happening a few years back and it was caused by the actual signal sent out.

I have now got another reply from Sky in which they state that the TV3 broadcast signal is out of their control and they supplied an email address and a phone number for TV3.
    I had already sent TV3 an email but got no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 celticsibh

...is anyone noticing that on various recorded programmes/channels (not just tv3), every so often there is a very small 'skip' or 'jump' in the sound/picture??

celticsibh wrote: »
    ...is anyone noticing that on various recorded programmes/channels (not just tv3), every so often there is a very small 'skip' or 'jump' in the sound/picture??

I get the odd jump but not very often.
    However, Film Four has developed an interference problem which is not exactly a skip but a click and a thin line appears on the screen for a split second. This seems to happen every ten minutes or so on this channel (and its plus one version).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zg3409

celticsibh wrote: »

Freezing blockiness, skips etc are a sign of a bad signal. Also the Sky box uses the 2nd cable from the dish for recordings. Sometimes the 2nd cable can be a bit dodgy and only recordings will be affected.

Unless your dish is 100% perfectly aligned you get these problems from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Have this issue with rewinding TV3 too (box is 4 yrs old). The unplugging thing etc. didn't work.
    We have a communal dish for the last 6 months that they adjusted recently and we lost 3e (and some other channels) completely. A tech came out and said there was a faulty splitter & fixed, but had said it was nothing to do with the dish, but now we have the issues rewinding on tv3/3e since. Might be coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Also have the rewind problem and it only happens on TV3. Haven't recorded a full programme but it happens on Live Pause!

Will rewind about 30 secs before the picture freezes and while the rewind symbol shows it rewinding 3/4/5/ mins it will only play from the frozen piece!

Rebuild hasn't solved it and haven't checked from just pausing and continuing from that spot either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

I get the odd jump but not very often.
    However, Film Four has developed an interference problem which is not exactly a skip but a click and a thin line appears on the screen for a split second. This seems to happen every ten minutes or so on this channel (and its plus one version).

I've noticed this myself and it seems to be worse of late. Reported by others in UK too - appears to be a problem at the transmission end.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1650597

Apogee wrote: »
    I've noticed this myself and it seems to be worse of late. Reported by others in UK too - appears to be a problem at the transmission end.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1650597[/QUOTE]

Yes! That thread describes the effect exactly. It's sort of a relief to find that my Sky box isn't banjaxed but it's a bloody nuisance.

I've just sent a detailed report to Film4 but I'll be pleasantly surprised if I get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

scout353 wrote: »
    Also have the rewind problem and it only happens on TV3. Haven't recorded a full programme but it happens on Live Pause!

Will rewind about 30 secs before the picture freezes and while the rewind symbol shows it rewinding 3/4/5/ mins it will only play from the frozen piece!

Rebuild hasn't solved it and haven't checked from just pausing and continuing from that spot either!

Anyone hear anything back from tv 3 on this? Couldn't rewind the match during the week and now recorded corrie and cant rewind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

frankz wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything back from tv 3 on this? Couldn't rewind the match during the week and now recorded corrie and cant rewind it.

It's actually a service from Sky to save people from watching the rubbish on TV3 more than once.:pac:

I have no problems with TV3 on my box,strange problem.

With regard to the glitches on Film 4,I used to have the same thing with E4 before but it seems to have rectified itself,Film 4 was doing it the other night however.

• Advertisement

In the past few days, TV3 has corrected the aspect ratio problem (as far as I can see) and now switches automatically to widescreen - but it still won't rewind.

Advertisement