Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Insurance Shock On Twizy!

Options
  • 19-04-2012 4:06pm

I rang Zurich today and got a quote of €853,00!

Just out of pure interest I rang them because I think it has a lot of potential. And I would seriously love one but couldn't afford it right now. But with a quote like that there is no way in hell I would give them the pleasure of ripping me off.

One other company I rang never heard of it then looked it up on Goole, rang me back and said they wouldn't insure it with no reason why!

Hardly an incentive for people to choose a different more suitable form of city and town travel !

The car companies should be informing insurance companies of newer vehicles!!!!!

Twizzy2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭kirving

No worse than a Fiat Seicento I wouldn't think. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What's wrong with €853? I presume it's that anyway. That doesn't look life the safest place to be in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Irish Insurance companies will have a knee jerk reaction to this from the get-go. If they don't understand it, Insure it to death. Give it 6 months for the manufacturer to get the product known and quotes will become a bit better.

Personally, I'd love one.

That doesn't look life the safest place to be in fairness!

You don't compare it to a car for safety. You compare it to a motorbike/bicycle.

Owen wrote: »
    You don't compare it to a car for safety. You compare it to a motorbike/bicycle.

Oh right! Well €853 still isn't too bad is it?? It's a class looking thing though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Renault will be lucky if owners aren't forced to wear a helmet, BMW C1 style!

It really is. It's cheap motoring, safe for kids, and if I get the job I've an interview for tomorrow, I might look into one of these for commuting (Although, I'll probably cycle).

It really is. It's cheap motoring, safe for kids, and if I get the job I've an interview for tomorrow, I might look into one of these for commuting (Although, I'll probably cycle).

Best of luck ;)

langdang wrote: »

4 wheels vs 2. Irish and British Legislation scarpered the helmetless idea for the C1, but on a 4 wheel vehicle, even a quadricycle, you don't need a helmet. You don't need a helmet legally on a trike either, but people wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

OSI wrote: »
    Well it look's neither particularly secure, nor crash resistant so can't say I'm surprised by the insurance price.

Aren't they one seaters?

Crash resistance wouldn't really matter in such an event. Injury to the driver cannot be claimed and no passengers can fit in to it so there's no liability really extending to any potential loss suffered by a collision in the cabin.

One would assume that the associated third party risk would be slightly lower.

IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Irish Insurance companies will have a knee jerk reaction to this from the get-go.
    I have read a British car journal that mentioned that electric cars aren't cheap to insure in the UK, so I don't think it's an Irish thing.

You serious ?

renault-to-build-twizy-ze-electric-car-in-spain-12940_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MugMugs wrote: »
    You serious ?
    ]

Someone put a review up in the last twizy thread and the rerviewer got in the back. He said it was grand for him. He was 6'1" or 2 iirc.

You can see the rear headrest in the picture in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I can see skangers pushing it over on its side for the craic.

Like when this came out:
    bmw-c1.jpg

OSI wrote: »

Jaysus! :eek:

It's a lot more stable than a Scooter, can do 80kph and has a seat belt and airbag, most scooters are a pest in the wet for inexperience bike drivers, and most can only do 50kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I can see skangers pushing it over on its side for the craic.

Like when this came out:
    bmw-c1.jpg

Did it ever happen?When the Smart came out the same was said too.

Surely there'd be motorbikes lying on their sides everywhere too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

What's the driver and passenger blanket? Not my thing really but each to their own.

dorgasm wrote: »
    What's the driver and passenger blanket? Not my thing really but each to their own.

I presume it's some kinda double poncho thing (fleece lined I think) - would look silly I'd say.

EDIT - some people probably think the whole thing looks silly but I like the Twizy. Although I like the smart crossblade too haha

Did it ever happen?When the Smart came out the same was said too.
    Surely there'd be motorbikes lying on their sides everywhere too?
    I hear if you sneak up to them in a field when they are asleep you can tip em over no problem. Oh wait, that's a different myth!

• Advertisement

Good old faithful Leccy, 40 mph, no tax no insurance no battery rental and only normal bicycle maintenance. sure I can make it faster, but not on skinny 1.6 tyres and no rear suspension, these bad roads have me arse in bits! :D

I can Just imagine passing out a 16 year old in the 28 mph restricted version twizy on me leccy at 40 mph! LMAO

2011-10-19133745.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Good old faithful Leccy, 40 mph, no tax no insurance no battery rental and only normal bicycle maintenance. sure I can make it faster, but not on skinny 1.6 tyres and no rear suspension, these bad roads have me arse in bits! :D

I can Just imagine passing out a 16 year old in the 28 mph restricted version twizy on me leccy at 40 mph! LMAO

2011-10-19133745.jpg

If I remember correctly an electric bike can only be legally assisted up to 15mph, after that you need insurance, tax, license etc. So your setup would appear to be illegal ;)

quenching wrote: »
    If I remember correctly an electric bike can only be legally assisted up to 15mph, after that you need insurance, tax, license etc. So your setup would appear to be illegal ;)

That's correct, and a limit of 250 watts. They E.U are changing that to allow unlimited power, but still have the stupid no throttle and 15 mph limit! Still it's progress. Still I don't know if E.U law can be enforced if no Irish law exists to enforce it, or maybe the Guards have the power once E.U law exists ? legal experts can advise please!

Anyway the Guards don't bother me and have no reason to bother me unless I was annoying people or doing something stupid! They are used to me whizzing by by now!

If I really wanted to I can get a gadget specially for electric bikes that is controlled by any Android phone vis bluetooth and limit the power to the legal limit of 15 mph and 250 watts at the press of a button and no matter who does what they can never get more than the 250 watts or 15 mph!

Electric bikes were banned in New York City, it's now illegal to buy or sell an electric bike in New York City, and funny enough the biggest electric bike shop in the U.S has a shop there! :D means they can't sell electric bikes.

It all happened because courier companies were buying them in the hundreds and were riding on footpaths, going up one way streets and the public got mad and the local authorities instead of enforcing rules decided to ban them that they were too dangerous to the public.

A danger to the public ? that is funny, a country that allows people to legally walk down the street with guns!!! WTF ? dangerous ? :D

But still this is what happens when people have no respect for others or the rules of the road!

I don't act the idiot, and expect motorists and pedestrians don't understand I'm motorised and only use full throttle on the open road. But most of the time I pedal with the odd blast of fun or if I need to get around locally in a hurry.

One of the greatest and cheapest forms of travel ever invented!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

The wheels are too wide at the front the force helmet wearing. But out of town I might anyway.

I presume it's some kinda double poncho thing (fleece lined I think) - would look silly I'd say.

EDIT - some people probably think the whole thing looks silly but I like the Twizy. Although I like the smart crossblade too haha

I like Twizy too and everyone that has drove one says it's really fun to drive. But unless the insurance companies offer decent insurance rates it won't sell. But I have a feeling once Renault discovers what the cost of insurance is they will do something about it. I think Renault offer their own insurance ?

It will be far cheaper to fuel than a scooter, how much is a new scooter ?

Some cheaper brands like Keway are as low as 1500 brand new, others are much more expensive. BMW have a new scooter launching soon which will be almost the same price as the Twizy.

650Ginge wrote: »
    The wheels are too wide at the front the force helmet wearing. But out of town I might anyway.

Twizy has airbags, show me a motorbike or scooter with air bags and yet Twizy costs much more to insure. (for now)

Twizy is officially a quadricycle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

The only thing puting me off is the lack of side windows even on the one with doors.
    This is Ireland afterall and we do get a fair bit of rain here.
    Im cant wate to get a look at the ZOE when it comes out

Stealthirl wrote: »
    The only thing puting me off is the lack of side windows even on the one with doors.
    This is Ireland afterall and we do get a fair bit of rain here.
    Im cant wate to get a look at the ZOE when it comes out

You are too fond of your comfort! :D don't be such a wuss, don't tell me you wouldn't cycle a bicycle in the rain ? I have wet gear and it doesn't bother me at all.

Ireland isn't that wet!

I think Zoe will be more popular in Europe than the Leaf, it will certainly have more range but how much is unknown yet, I would wait for reviews from actual owners of Zoe first.

I called the local Renault dealer in Carlow Town the other day and they said they have had a surprising amount of people contact them about Zoe!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

looks like a bizarre golf cart

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement