Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen daughter and summer holidays

Options
  • 19-04-2012 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

My daughter is 13 (in 1st year) and with 3 months summer holidays approaching I'm wondering should she do something. Every summer in my teens I worked for at least 1/2 of my holidays. As a result I had extra money, made a few friends, started building up my CV and learned about work. I doubt it is easy to get a 13 year old a summer job these days so anyone have any idea?

Oh, it has to be cheap, we've recently had a baby too so we're poor :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I went to this every year as a teenager, and as a staff member in more recent years. http://sepuk.org/ The camp has a Christian ethos and is very well managed, with a wide range of activities and sports. It also takes place in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I think its illegal for a 13 year old to work! or get a summer job look here

http://www.spunout.ie/health/Work/Work-rights/Work-rights

I know a good few kids do acting, but that is different to working in a shop or office...

My lady (age 12) helps out at the local equestrian centre where she horse rides and as payment or thank yous she gets a free lesson. She helped out for all their summer camps and took people out on treks, mucked out stables, fed horses, groomed horses, took care of sick horses and served in the shop, she also helps out there on Saturdays doing all of the mentioned. She has been going their since the age of 8 and has been helping out there for the last 2 years. (there is a difference between helping out and summer work, what my daughter does

she is going to an adventure centre for a week too, that's costly its 300-350 euro she is using her conformation money to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I was half thinking that volunteering would be an idea. Might stick a thread over in the Volunteerism forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I think its illegal for a 13 year old to work! or get a summer job look here

http://www.spunout.ie/health/Work/Work-rights/Work-rights

Yes they have to be 14 before they can have paid employment and even then most employers prefer over 16s as there are less restrictions on hours, etc. but there are very few summer jobs going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's difficult for teenagers to get summer jobs, my 16 year old thinks he might get 3 weeks work and he's tried a lot of places. A lot of places want them to be at least 16 preferably 17+.

I know things are tight after having a baby but for the future summer holidays it might be worth considering as I've found the best thing that my teenagers have taken up to occupy their summer holidays is golf. Annual membership is under €200 for the private golf clubs and around €120 at the municipal golf course. A basic set of clubs for under €200 or buy secondhand.

A round of golf can take around 5+ hours ;), they have to behave with decorum, they're getting exercise and plenty of fresh air and aren't hanging around somewhere where them may get up to devilment or may be seen to be up to no good if they're just hanging around with friends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement