Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

periodontist

Options
  • 19-04-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi my hubby has been told he needs to go to a periodontist for deep cleaning for gum disease. He has been told he has got it early and his teeth and bone structure are fine, would anyone have an idea of cost for this and can you claim any cost back on med 1. I rang our health insurance and he is not covered.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I had this done and it came to about a grand. However the bloke was apparently the "best in the country".

I've seen it advertised for closer to 500.

I think you can get some tax back on it. Ask the dentist that does it to fill out a med 2 for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

If you know what you need done, a lot of dentists have websites so you should be able to tell from these roughly what costs you are looking at and be able to compare periodontists.

I think deep cleaning qualifies as “non routine” dental care and therefore you are entitled to tax relief @ 20% on this. Just get the dentist to complete a Med 2 form.

Also your insurer may pay an amount per visit as well as part of their day to day medical expense cover. This is usually only €20-€30 per visit however. If the work that needs to be done occurs over a few separate visits get separate receipts to claim for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Gilally wrote: »
    Hi my hubby has been told he needs to go to a periodontist for deep cleaning for gum disease. He has been told he has got it early and his teeth and bone structure are fine, would anyone have an idea of cost for this and can you claim any cost back on med 1. I rang our health insurance and he is not covered.

Cost of perio treatment is tax deductible at 20%
    ask your dentist or periodontist to fill out a med 2 form after treatment
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/forms/med2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Gilally

Thank you!

Advertisement