Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If boxing was banned and...

Options
  • 19-04-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Posted this on another forum ages ago but I'm new here and might be a good way to see people's tastes and generate some debate.

Hypothetical question. Boxings been banned. There are no future fights and all records of past fights including film, books, newspapers etc have been destroyed. You manage to save one fighter's entire career on dvd, which will be your only record of the sweet science and the only boxer you will ever see fight again. Tough question but who do you pick?

Theres a few things to take into account. Do you pick your favourite boxer? Someone who's been in a lot of epic fights to keep you entertained. Someone who fought great quality opposition so that you see a number of greats by default. Do you pick an old timer or a modern great? With a good old timer you get a lot more fights and a record of times when the best fought the best more frequently. While with the modern fighters you get much better quality footage as well as some great fights.

With the likes of Ali, you get to see perhaps the greatest against a golden generation of heavys. A clinic against Williams, the Frasier triology, the rumble and much more. With Duran you get extensive footage of perhaps the greatest LW ever an exciting style and also get footage of Hagler, Hearns and Leonard as well as great later wins against the likes of Moore and Barkley. Or do you go with someone like Gatti? 4 ring fights of the year, the ward trilogy and footage of modern greats such as Mayweather and Oscar.

Just some options but who do you pick and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Maravilla33

I'd go for Duran. He's my favourite boxer and him vs Leonard 1 and vs Barkley are two of my favourite fights ever. I'd get over 100 fights against some great fighters and the quality of the footage is still pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,978 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I will go with Ali. I believe the Rumble to be one of the greatest sports events in history, and a fantastic fight too. The clash of styles, the toughness, guile and ending beats all others for me. Not saying it's the best fight ever, but when you add in the men, the arena, the significance, it tops all others for me.

So, I will save Ali's career. He had many memorable displays. Many great fights, and many superb performances. At peak he was a marvel as a HW.

Close second: Tyson, Toney, SRL, SRR, Gatti, Barry McGuigan.

Toneys an interesting choice. Great to watch in his day but a real waste of talent. His press conferences and interviews would be nearly worth the pick on their own..

Toneys an interesting choice. Great to watch in his day but a real waste of talent. His press conferences and interviews would be nearly worth the pick on their own..

Yes, had many dull bouts, but when on form, to me he was simply a joy to watch. Never saw such a relaxed and fluid natural fighter. Did the man ever look panicked, flustered or in real danger? Unreal. 80 plus fights too against EVERYONE. Of all the fighters I have seen he also seemed to have the most supreme confidence. Bulit in radar too.

Duran is a very good choice. One I should add as a close second. I would also add Orlando Canizales. He was the complete package. So neat and tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mike Tyson, His fights where just pure savagery and i grew up watching him-After Ali the most famous name in sport i'd say worldwide.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    Mike Tyson, His fights where just pure savagery and i grew up watching him-After Ali the most famous name in sport i'd say worldwide.

I would agree. At his peak, he was the global sports figure on earth. Bigger than Maradona even.

walshb wrote: »
    I would agree. At his peak, he was the global sports figure on earth. Bigger than Maradona even.

Even now, Everyone knows Mike Tyson, ask some random girl does she know Maradonna, Pele than ask does she know Ali, Tyson-Everyone knows them better.

Even now, Everyone knows Mike Tyson, ask some random girl does she know Maradonna, Pele than ask does she know Ali, Tyson-Everyone knows them better.

And who the f*&^ calls their dogs Pele or Maradona?:)

I'm going to call my next dog Diego...

Funny enough my 2 dog's are called Ali and Tyson-Point well made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Sorry for getting OT but I'd say Tiger Woods is more famous than Tyson. Obviously Wood's still active so it's a little bit of an unfair comparison. Still I'd say that in 20 years time more people will have heard of Woods.

Sorry for getting OT but I'd say Tiger Woods is more famous than Tyson. Obviously Wood's still active so it's a little bit of an unfair comparison. Still I'd say that in 20 years time more people will have heard of Woods.

Doubt it, outside golf fans or people who watch sky sports I don't see him been that famous, most women you ask will know Tyson, even girls who where not alive when he was boxing peak!

Doubt it, outside golf fans or people who watch sky sports I don't see him been that famous, most women you ask will know Tyson, even girls who where not alive when he was boxing peak!

Most women know him as someone to avoid I would imagine:)

Anyway, Tyson is known by second name alone. Woods is known when one mentions Tiger Woods. Tyson's name resonates more so than Woods' name.

Most women know him as someone to avoid I would imagine:)

Anyway, Tyson is known by second name alone. Woods is known when one mentions Tiger Woods. Tyson's name resonates more so than Woods' name.

I'd say both names are as recognisable as each other. Tigers first name probably resonates as much as Tyson's second name to be honest.

I'd say both names are as recognisable as each other. Tigers first name probably resonates as much as Tyson's second name to be honest.

Was thinking this, but say it. No, I say Tiger, I also think of the animal. I say Tyson, and there is nothing else.

Example: "Tiger played well today didn't he?" Most people would get this straight away. Some would not

"Tyson was dominant last night." No mistaking who we're talking about there.

To me Tyson's impact was more widespread and forceful.

Was thinking this, but say it. No, I say Tiger, I also think of the animal. I say Tyson, and there is nothing else.

Example: "Tiger played well today didn't he?" Most people would get this straight away. Some would not

"Tyson was dominant last night." No mistaking who we're talking about there.

To me Tyson's impact was more widespread and forceful.

I disagree. Everyone knows who Tiger Woods is. Between his golf exploits, computer games, Nike ads ("I'm Tiger Woods") and now the whole sex scandal its nearly impossible to not know who he is.

Tyson was the same when he was around but I think Tigers one of the few whos made the same mark and transcended sport the way Tyson did.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,796 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

After a good bit of thought about his question I've come to the conclusion that you have a choice here between a boxer you love who could entertain or simply the most entertaining fighter.

If its a boxer I love who had loads of great fights then its Julio Cesar Chavez for me. One of the best pound for pound of all time and so many great fights. If you've never seen Chavez v Meldrick Taylor you have to watch it. One of the greatest fights ever.

If its for pure entertainment then it has to be Arturo Gatti. Gatti was just different gravy when it came to entertainment, you just never knew what was going to happen next and you couldn't predict what Gatti would do at any given time, he could get floored or put the opposition down. And I don't know how many times he got up when he looked done and went on to win a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

SRR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Gatti

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

put the whole tiger woods and tyson to the test there on my missus

took a lot of encouragement to get her to name one single golfer but she eventually got tiger woods. named tyson after a few seconds.

tyson wins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Woods is definitely more recognisable.

Woods is definitely more recognisable.

That's debateable, and Tyson's look has changed too. At peak, both are massively global.

keane=cock wrote: »
    put the whole tiger woods and tyson to the test there on my missus

took a lot of encouragement to get her to name one single golfer but she eventually got tiger woods. named tyson after a few seconds.

tyson wins

Irrefutable evidence right there! Case closed....

Irrefutable evidence right there! Case closed....

Its so obvious, sure most birds would hardly know tiger of he walked through Dublin, they'd know Tyson

Its so obvious, sure most birds would hardly know tiger of he walked through Dublin, they'd know Tyson

I think Maravilla33 was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

His face tattoo would sure make him stand out

I think Maravilla33 was being sarcastic.

Well his sarcasm is the right answer so not really great sarcasm!!

Well his sarcasm is the right answer so not really great sarcasm!!

Well the sarcasm was aimed at how he came about his decision rather than the decision itself.

Well the sarcasm was aimed at how he came about his decision rather than the decision itself.

Well 100% of the girls he asked knew Tyson better!!

• Advertisement

He used a massive sample size didn't he? I think they're on a par. Global superstars who dominated their respective sports and are also well known for their extra curricular antics.

Advertisement