Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for a "Hearing Loss" Sticky.

Options
  • 19-04-2012 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78214541#post78214541

The above thread from the "Music Forum" got me to thinking that a Sticky on the subject of hearing loss would be a good idea on this forum. I had a quick look through the stickys and could find nothing on the subject. It would also be a good idea to include a decibel chart like in post #5 in the link, to put things in context for people. From time to time the subject comes up on a thread, discussed, then forgotten about. A Sticky would provide a permanent reminder.

OK, OK, we wont go down the road of people not reading the stickys !!! :p

The basic message is that if you are exposed to long periods of loud noise then it is prudent to have hearing protection. For people playing in rock bands etc., they are a must, or hearing loss will happen long before it should. As I mentioned in the above thread, hearing loss, through everyday mundane noise, starts from around the early twenties, and slowly deteriorates throughout life. Any loss, however small is permanent and will never return. Not using ear protection in bands etc., accelerates the process.

If you can afford them (around 300 euros), custom molded musician's ear plugs are the best option. With these, the sound is not muffled, but the volume is merely lowered. The other option is wax plugs. At around five euros a pack, they are not going to break the bank. With these, the sound can be muffled, but you will get used to it.

So, next time you are shopping for "instrument accessories", make ear protection your #1 priority. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Ger09

Good post man.

Ive had a bad case of losing my hearing for a few hours completely thinking that was it.It returned a few hours later but there was serious pains in my ears afterwards so i booked in to get my hearing checked.Luckily for me it was an ear infection but there was damage done to my eardrums which they said was from prolonged blowing the head off myself at gigs.

Thankfully the pain ceased and I went on gigging but constantly worrying about more damage so as soon as I have 250 euro I will be getting some custom plugs fitted to ease the worry.

148db is enough to permanently kill your hearing and im sure many people like myself who use bass stacks with massive output would worry about standing in front of these things every night.All the sounds together from each instrument is massive and well capable of being over the level to do serious damage.

Lesson learned,even using 30 euro plugs helps a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭LampyJo

Really important post; good on ya Rigsby.

This is something that far too many musicians ignore :confused:
    I did when I was playing regularly in my teens and early twenties and now have permanent tinnitus as a result. Luckily I only have a little hearing loss, but trust me on this; I wouldn't wish the tinnitus on my worst enemy.

Some cases of tinnitus are so bad that a few folks have had an operation to severe the nevres from the eardrum.
    They'd prefer to be deaf than put up with the tinnitus any longer! :eek:

I now religiously wear attenuators for every rehearsal and gig I play/go to. Only wish I did that from the start :o

Your ears are the most important tool you'll ever have.
    Why take the risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

LampyJo wrote: »
    Really important post; good on ya Rigsby.

This is something that far too many musicians ignore :confused:
    I did when I was playing regularly in my teens and early twenties and now have permanent tinnitus as a result. Luckily I only have a little hearing loss, but trust me on this; I wouldn't wish the tinnitus on my worst enemy.

Some cases of tinnitus are so bad that a few folks have had an operation to severe the nevres from the eardrum.
    They'd prefer to be deaf than put up with the tinnitus any longer! :eek:

I now religiously wear attenuators for every rehearsal and gig I play/go to. Only wish I did that from the start :o

Your ears are the most important tool you'll ever have.
    Why take the risk?

Yeah, I have read up on tinnitus and the effects it can have on some people. A lot have been driven almost to the end of their tether, with the constant ringing in their ears 24/7. Plus, it never goes away.

Like yourself, I too, did not wear hearing protection when I started playing first. People were even less aware of the consequences back then then they are now. I was luckier than you, in that I got away with "moderate" hearing loss.

At this stage, I'm happy to protect what hearing I have left, and at least try to give others the heads up on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

The Mods have been kind enough to go along with my suggestion. The "Hearing Loss Sticky" is now at the top of the forum. Perhaps you could post any opinions, suggestions etc., there. :)

Advertisement