Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

invoice validity 6 years on !

Options
  • 19-04-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

hi there

Supposing someone buys a house

and 6 years later the solicitor come back with the invoice !

(6 years alot of things change and hard times are amongst us!)

is an invoice/bill still valid 6 years after ??

Tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Hhhmmm - I think I remember a thread similar to this a few months back.
    Best palce to ask this OP would be on www.askaboutmoney.com

I imagine if they did work for you and you were happy with their service, then yes, you would still be liable to pay. However, after 6 years, it is an extremely longtime to issue an invoice and may be deemed somewhat unreasonable. Ask on the above website for a clear answer...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sure its hard times now but when anybody buys a house they factor in such fee's into their budget, I know that I sure as hell did. But then I contacted my solicitor after the sale and made sure they were paid.

If you've since spent that money thats really not their concern, surely the company who provided the services and did the work is entitled to be paid?

If it was you and times are hard and you did work would you also not expect to be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Aren't bills statute-barred after 6 years?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Aren't bills statute-barred after 6 years?:confused:
    Only if no effort has been made to collect them in the interim.

I suspect that the six years mentioned by OP is "almost six years", that the solicitor might have been checking through things which might have on the brink of becoming statute-barred, and made sure to get the invoice out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Only if no effort has been made to collect them in the interim.

I suspect that the six years mentioned by OP is "almost six years", that the solicitor might have been checking through things which might have on the brink of becoming statute-barred, and made sure to get the invoice out in time.

Yes, 6 years from the last reminder.

They normally grab the fee from the clients' monies, but someone obviously screwed up at the solicitor's office in his case and paid the funds over in full.:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement