Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regrets

Options
  • 19-04-2012 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Found this online and wondered if anyone had any regrets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Regrets? A few, but then again to fe. Seriously, I think most people will have a few. I certainly do ......... but I don't rehash them. Once done - it's done ........ lesson learned ........... can even be an amusing anecdote years later.
    Once you survive birth you are a winner.
    The experience of life is one long lesson ........ most things are of little importance in the great scheme of things.
    Analysis is paralysis
    This works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Wonder if they regret getting that tattoo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

:D

and on a serious note...
    The thing that stopped me ever getting a tatoo, was seeing how they look when people get older. As your skin loses elasticity, the tatoo blurs until all it is, is a blob of blue. "What did that say?" I remember asking people who would have been middle-aged in the 70s when I was a young wan.

So I guess a lot of people will regret them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

:D and on a serious note...
    The thing that stopped me ever getting a tatoo, was seeing how they look when people get older. As your skin loses elasticity, the tatoo blurs until all it is, is a blob of blue. "What did that say?" I remember asking people who would have been middle-aged in the 70s when I was a young wan.

I very much agree with you there JuliusCaesar. My main regret is that I never really had much of an education but in those days 12 year olds were not really consulted. On the other hand my mum never thought beyond the 'work until you get married and then have children and spend the rest of your life in the kitchen' scenario. It would never have dawned on her (bless her) that I could do any better in life. I'm not blaming, it's just her world was quite tiny and she didn't know any different and there was no advice to the contrary. I have spent my life 'improving' myself as much as I possibly could. Unfortunately without that 'piece of paper' I was very much an outcast for a lot of jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I very much agree with you there JuliusCaesar. My main regret is that I never really had much of an education but in those days 12 year olds were not really consulted. On the other hand my mum never thought beyond the 'work until you get married and then have children and spend the rest of your life in the kitchen' scenario. It would never have dawned on her (bless her) that I could do any better in life. I'm not blaming, it's just her world was quite tiny and she didn't know any different and there was no advice to the contrary. I have spent my life 'improving' myself as much as I possibly could. Unfortunately without that 'piece of paper' I was very much an outcast for a lot of jobs.
    But Jellybaby1 it doesn't matter what age you are if you want an education, you can go back to education as a mature student - that's what I going to do. I've applied for the place on a 3rd level course, next month I apply for funding and I expect to be called for interview next October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Galen wrote: »
    But Jellybaby1 it doesn't matter what age you are if you want an education, you can go back to education as a mature student - that's what I going to do. I've applied for the place on a 3rd level course, next month I apply for funding and I expect to be called for interview next October.
    +1
    I've never stopped my education. Every year I take on a study course of some discription, from serious and work related to frivolous and purly personal. I love going through the courses available leaflets/ prespectus' in the approach to September. My favourite aunt decided to do her leaving cert at the age of 67. When I asked her why she said it was just so she could thumb her nose at the bitchy inlaws who always looked down on her as "That flighty girl". :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

^^^what the others have said. I turned 50 while I was in college, worked freelance for a while and have been teaching for the past 8 years or so. Totally worth it!

Galen, that's what I said, I have been improving myself. Mainly IT and business based courses, which (thankfully) I've sailed through with flying colours. Am presently doing part time 3rd level which I am enjoying but it is pretty tough for me and it won't get me back to work. Unfortunately I thought my experience would stand to me and I wouldn't really have to do the Leaving Cert but how wrong was I? I've missed out so many jobs because I didn't have the piece of paper. I've given up on the jobsearch. No, I haven't been resting on my laurels atall atall!! Wish someone had been on hand to advise us 50 years ago, that's all, but honestly I don't usually dwell on it.

Galen, that's what I said, I have been improving myself. Mainly IT and business based courses, which (thankfully) I've sailed through with flying colours. Am presently doing part time 3rd level which I am enjoying but it is pretty tough for me and it won't get me back to work. Unfortunately I thought my experience would stand to me and I wouldn't really have to do the Leaving Cert but how wrong was I? I've missed out so many jobs because I didn't have the piece of paper. I've given up on the jobsearch. No, I haven't been resting on my laurels atall atall!! Wish someone had been on hand to advise us 50 years ago, that's all, but honestly I don't usually dwell on it.
    My life is carbon copy word for word to yours so I wish us both luck :-D

My life is carbon copy word for word to yours so I wish us both luck :-D

We is twinnies!!! :)

• Advertisement

yep, separated at birth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

The secret I have been told is to regret nothing.

Unfortunately I do have regrets. I regret the hurt I have caused folks when I didn't mean to. Hopefully I have since learned to not do that anymore.

Rubecula wrote: »
    The secret I have been told is to regret nothing.

Unfortunately I do have regrets. I regret the hurt I have caused folks when I didn't mean to. Hopefully I have since learned to not do that anymore.
    Old habits die hard - all that matters is that you've the guts to say sorry to those you hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

My main regret is that I never took up the chance of a job with the UK Foreign Office back in the 70's. At the time I was caring for my mother and felt duty bound to stay. My siblings were all married, had children and didn't want to take over the reins - or so I sensed, anyway :(

Now when I see Ambassadors and suchlike on the telly, I often wonder where I would be now if I'd had the guts to stand up to the family!

Mollywolly wrote: »
    My main regret is that I never took up the chance of a job with the UK Foreign Office back in the 70's. At the time I was caring for my mother and felt duty bound to stay. My siblings were all married, had children and didn't want to take over the reins - or so I sensed, anyway :(

Now when I see Ambassadors and suchlike on the telly, I often wonder where I would be now if I'd had the guts to stand up to the family!
    We all have similar regrets but we plod along none the less. I hope you have a great Sunday though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

^^^^^^

Plodding on is the name of the game and thankfully Foreign Ambassadors only crop up once in a while, so it's not as if the feeling's there all the time. And yes, despite the blasted rain, I plan on having a really good Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Dose any one know the words oft he song the parting glass.

"and all the harm I've done ales it was to none but me and all I've done for want of wit to memory now I cant recall":D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

Of all the money e'er I had,
    I spent it in good company.
    And all the harm I've ever done,
    Alas! it was to none but me.
    And all I've done for want of wit
    To mem'ry now I can't recall
    So fill to me the parting glass
    Good night and joy be with you all.
    Chorus: Some Versions Omit
    So fill to me the parting glass
    And drink a health whate'er befalls
    Then gently rise and softly call
    "Good night and joy be to you all"

Oh, all the comrades e'er I had,
    They're sorry for my going away,
    And all the sweethearts e'er I had,
    They'd wish me one more day to stay,
    But since it falls unto my lot,
    That I should rise and you should not,
    I gently rise and softly call,
    If I had money enough to spend,
    And leisure time to sit awhile,
    There is a fair maid in this town,
    That sorely has my heart beguiled.
    Her rosy cheeks and ruby lips,
    I own she has my heart in thrall,
    Then fill to me the parting glass,

Glory on you Alice1 ....... The Parting Glass. Often heard it at the end of a party as a youth.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Found this online and wondered if anyone had any regrets.
    :D

and on a serious note...

:)

JC, I think that the irony of your post is priceless!

(and no, I'm not being mean - look at the original jpeg again)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    :)

JC, I think that the irony of your post is priceless!

(and no, I'm not being mean - look at the original jpeg again)
    Loving it Wilkie, just loving it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Took me a good 10 minutes to get the irony :D

I have tattoos and I'll never regret having them :cool:

I'm actually getting a want on me now for the one in the OP.

I'd no idea what I was starting. I dislike tattoos but I have to say the picture I posted is actually quite pretty.

Back to regrets. I wonder if any chisselers are reading this and learning anything from us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'd no idea what I was starting. I dislike tattoos but I have to say the picture I posted is actually quite pretty.

Back to regrets. I wonder if any chisselers are reading this and learning anything from us?

With any hope they are, especially what I've read here (and had to find out myself) about education as a mature student.

I'd generally be of the crew 'regret nothing, it happens for a reason, and you must learn from it'. But I some how cannot apply this logic to the marriage with my ex, but it is the one regret I cannot leg go of. It takes too long to put an end to it in this country, and I can't find the closure I need until it is gone out of my life for good, so the regret is with me all of the time.

I'm looking forward to not have that hanging over me any more =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

It's years since I had anything to regret.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I just can't believe people who say they have no regrets , I just don't find it credible .

I have loads and loads of regrets , some major , but most minor . Such is life .

Everyone seems to assume that the decision not taken would have worked out better . Why ?

Missed that opportunity - grabbed that one, and what's done is done . The thing is to just absorb it and move on and enjoy life ..

Advertisement