Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A helpful tip from a very happy ex smoker...

Options
  • 19-04-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭

So, I am off the fags 90+ days now… and oh how delighted I am.

There is a long story behind my procrastination towards quitting but I am here now… and long may it live.

But there is one thing that has helped me to get through the more difficult times - and this I would like to share with you, well, along with a few other tips.

Most important NO. 1. Treat the cravings as another voice in your head; the evil voice of the nicotine addiction. It is not you who wants the cigarette; its the nicotine addiction in your body. Once you try to separate the addiction from you, it gives you more power and control. YOU do not want to smoke, THE NICOTINE ADDICTION DOES.

Do not confuse the two.

2. Also, fear of failure is very strong.. but its an illusion. The act of doing it is never as scary as the fear of it.

3. Also, the cravings only last a few mins.

4. Last but not least, have a supply of apples close by for the first few weeks.. they helped me anyway.

Here's to never smoking again!!!

xxx S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Good tips and advice. Thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

sporina wrote: »
    The act of doing it is never as scary as the fear of it.

+ a million to this - if Id known this Id probably have tried stopping years before.
    sporina wrote: »
    Last but not least, have a supply of apples close by for the first few weeks.. they helped me anyway.

For me it was Fishermans Friends and bottles of water :)

Advertisement