Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treating anxiety with ssri and benzodiazapine?

Options
  • 18-04-2012 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey everyone, I have been to my GP about my anxiety/anxiety attacks. I was prescribed 25mg sertraline everyday (Lustral or Zoloft are the most common brands I think) i have been on them about 3 and a half weeks at this stage. Anyway, they have been working very well and have brought the frequency of my attacks from about 3 or 4 times a week to maybe once a week so I feel they are definitely helping, although the attacks I'm still getting are pretty intense (same as before) and i haven't been getting any of the nasty side effects off the SSRI's that many seem to have, which makes me pretty lucky. Although I don't really want to up the dosage of the SSRI because they make me a little restless and less concentrated, and I fear any higher a dose would make the side effects much worse.

So i was just wondering, if anyone has been in the same boat as me and had any luck combing SSRI's with a benzodiazapine? Personally I feel it would benefit me to have some at hand for the occasional attack I'm having now. Should i just ask my GP straight out or just see what he says when i see him again?

I'd also be quite interested to hear what any of you guys have done treatment wise and if it has helped. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Any doctor that I've seen for my anxiety and depression flat out refused to prescribe me any benzodiazapine's when I enquired about it because they can become quite addictive.

No harm in asking your GP anyways though,maybe all my doctors just didn't trust me to use them properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

They are stupidly addictive. I was prescribed them for stress, but refused to take them. Then I kept fainting randomly. So, on doctor's advice, I took them for a week. They did wonders, but I haven't had one in over a month.

I found that they affected my concentration and made it hard to work. The only time I would take one now is if I was having a very bad turn. But I would stay away from them.

Then again, if it's affecting you very badly, a course on them wouldn't be the worse thing in the world. Some people do get along very happily on them.

Edit: They affect the physical symptoms of anxiety/stress very quickly and effectively. If it's depression or an emotional thing, then benzos aren't your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thepieman12345

The attacks arent exactly emotional, more physical symptom wise but with panic mixed in. He did say beta blockers could help but then said my asthma and young enough age and the fact its not exactly like stage fright kind of contra indicate use of beta blockers.
    I am aware they are addictive/habit forming, but if they only need to be used about once every week or two it shouldnt be that bad should it?

I guess the only way to find out is if i ask him straight out, he did ask what i felt would benifit me more when i first went to him, i thought mine were too frequent to use benzo's but maybe not anymore.

Thanks guys :)

Advertisement