Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Telecom

Options
  • 18-04-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) with Pure Telecom with regards billing or broadband connection? My parents got it last year because it was slightly less than the Eircom bill and we were getting unlimited downloads with it too. It runs off the old Eircom router also which is handy.

Anyway, ever since we got it, videos on Youtube or whatever can take ages to load at times and when someone is on a laptop watching videos, the connection on the xbox gets really bad when online gaming. Like so bad that nobody can be watching videos or downloading stuff while another person plays xbox live.

Now, in the last week the internet connection has been VERY annoying. I would be on the internet and suddenly it says "No network access" in the bottom right corner. The only time this would happen before would be if there was maintenance being done and/or the red light on the modem was on. But in this case all green lights were on, except for the light below "internet" on the modem sometimes, and the only solution to fix this was to run upstairs and switch the modem on and off and it would work again for the day. On Sunday and Monday though, I had to switch the modem on and of every hour, then every half hour and then it just got so bad that it would barely stay on for 10 minutes!

I've been busy at college all week so I can't ring them up and their lines are only open 9-5. Also my parents haven't a clue about internet and technology so it'd be pointless in them ringing up!

So anyway, if anyone has experienced this or has any views............well you know the rest :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Colemania wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) with Pure Telecom with regards billing or broadband connection? My parents got it last year because it was slightly less than the Eircom bill and we were getting unlimited downloads with it too. It runs off the old Eircom router also which is handy.

Anyway, ever since we got it, videos on Youtube or whatever can take ages to load at times and when someone is on a laptop watching videos, the connection on the xbox gets really bad when online gaming. Like so bad that nobody can be watching videos or downloading stuff while another person plays xbox live.

Now, in the last week the internet connection has been VERY annoying. I would be on the internet and suddenly it says "No network access" in the bottom right corner. The only time this would happen before would be if there was maintenance being done and/or the red light on the modem was on. But in this case all green lights were on, except for the light below "internet" on the modem sometimes, and the only solution to fix this was to run upstairs and switch the modem on and off and it would work again for the day. On Sunday and Monday though, I had to switch the modem on and of every hour, then every half hour and then it just got so bad that it would barely stay on for 10 minutes!

I've been busy at college all week so I can't ring them up and their lines are only open 9-5. Also my parents haven't a clue about internet and technology so it'd be pointless in them ringing up!

So anyway, if anyone has experienced this or has any views............well you know the rest :p

I just did a quick google, for "pure telecom broadband contention ratio". Apparently the contention ratio with pure telecom is up to 48:1, that means that at peak times you could have up to 48 people sharing the one line. This is more than likely what is causing the issue. Have a look at your Terms and Conditions and you'll see exactly what the contention ratio is for your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

source wrote: »
    I just did a quick google, for "pure telecom broadband contention ratio". Apparently the contention ratio with pure telecom is up to 48:1, that means that at peak times you could have up to 48 people sharing the one line. This is more than likely what is causing the issue. Have a look at your Terms and Conditions and you'll see exactly what the contention ratio is for your connection.

OK thanks very much. I'll have a look for it later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

they have a forum here on boards: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293

could ask there if you dont get time to ring them, I had eircom broadband once, never again, woeful altogether

krudler wrote: »
    they have a forum here on boards: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1293

could ask there if you dont get time to ring them, I had eircom broadband once, never again, woeful altogether

Ya eircom used to throw in these random charges every few months. The first few months they overcharged us and only refunded half of it. Hard to know which company to go with!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Ya eircom used to throw in these random charges every few months. The first few months they overcharged us and only refunded half of it. Hard to know which company to go with!

If you're in the city, look into UPC, higher speeds, lower contention ratios and cheaper too.

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    If you're in the city, look into UPC, higher speeds, lower contention ratios and cheaper too.

No i'm in Patrickswell so we don't get the full 3mb speed with our 3mb package because of where we're situated.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

No i'm in Patrickswell so we don't get the full 3mb speed with our 3mb package because of where we're situated.
    Try Digiweb Metro, Watty of this parish, is a Metro user in Patrickswell, I suggest you pm him and he will bring you up to speed

jbkenn wrote: »
    Try Digiweb Metro, Watty of this parish, is a Metro user in Patrickswell, I suggest you pm him and he will bring you up to speed

Who? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Who? :confused:
    Sorry, I did'nt realise you are new around here, Watty is a regular poster here on Boards, an absolute unassuming telecoms genius, Watty was doing $hit, when people did'nt know what $hit was, I hope he will forgive my language, but he will understand the high regard I have for his ability, do a search for posts by Watty, and you can pm him, he will give you an unbiased heads up.

jbkenn wrote: »
    Sorry, I did'nt realise you are new around here, Watty is a regular poster here on Boards, an absolute unassuming telecoms genius, Watty was doing $hit, when people did'nt know what $hit was, I hope he will forgive my language, but he will understand the high regard I have for his ability, do a search for posts by Watty, and you can pm him, he will give you an unbiased heads up.

Ok it says he doesn't accept pm's. Hmmm....

• Advertisement

Ok know our phone lines are down and it turns out someone was robbing copper from the telephone cables so they cut they cables on Thursday night and we've had no internet or phone line since then. Eircom are around the road trying to fix it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Traceyfitz

Hi you are wasting your time ringing them anyway, I just rang today for my mam as she doesn't know anything about the internet either. I told them their service was very bad and he replied 'you get off the phone, this has nothing to do with you'. I asked to speak with hes supervisor/manager and he said no.
    Hes name was Ryan and I must say they are the most ignorant people to deal with. STAY AWAY FROM PURE TELECOM EVERYONE AS THEY ARE NOT CHEAPER AND THERE SERVICE IS THE WORST IVE EVER SEEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

He be breaking data protection act if he spoke to you but suppose he could have been nicer about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement