Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probability equation question

Options
  • 18-04-2012 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Trying to figure this out and not happy with the answer I'm getting;

I have a 10% chance of losing my mobile each year so over three years I would have a 3*1/10=30% chance of losing it. Right?

So if I have six people including myself in my social circle what is the probability of losing one or more phones over three years.
    6*(3*1/10)=18/10 cant be right so what is the answer and what does the equation look like.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

It's better to think of this in terms of the probability that you DON'T lose your phone.

The probability that you don't lose your phone over the next three years is (0.9)(0.9)(0.9) = 0.729.

So the probability that you DO lose your phone (at least once) in the next three years is 1 - 0.729 = 0.211.

The probability that none of you loses a phone over the next three years (assuming everyon'e probability is the same as yours and independent of each other) is (0.729)^6.

So the probability that at least one phone gets lost is 1 - (0.729)^6, which is about 0.85.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Thanks that makes much more sense

Advertisement