Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help Building a Gaming Comp.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There is a form in stickies. Fill that in and we will be able to help you better. We will try to get you best balanced system for your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

form is in my signature, copy paste it here with your answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

one thing for sure is you won't need a 1050w psu

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Noneek

There is a form in stickies. Fill that in and we will be able to help you better. We will try to get you best balanced system for your budget.

I'm also new to Boards, and couldn't find the form you're talking about. I checked the 4 stickies, but couldn't find it #blind

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭pcadvice

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

• Advertisement

Handy, thanks #reallyblind

pcadvice wrote: »
    1. What is your budget? €1500 - €2000, won't be buying all the parts at once.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming: Minecraft, LA Noire, Battlefield 3, etc.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? I have two 1ter Hard drives, a DVD Drive, and maybe a case, not sure if its bug enough as its 5-6 years old.

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes, Full HD

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 20" - 22"

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Wireless Card

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Paypal, O2 money card

9. When are you purchasing? I plan on getting these parts sooner, rather than later

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I should have help building it, if that changes, i'll repost

That's great, thanks very much.

Can that MoBo handle a gtx 680 graphics card, because if I was going to spend over 700 for one, would a 680 be better? Then I could upgrade to i7-2600k and the price would probably stay the same.

• Advertisement

Nevermind, I just noticed the Sapphire is better

you could go single gtx 680, but with your budget you might aswell go 2x7950 which will blow single gtx 680 out of water. that is the reason i went for 8002 psu. if you want to go single gtx 680, then drop psu to amazon 550w psu.

if you want to push your budget to 2k, then swap for 2x7970. 7970 is better value then gtx 680 as its cheaper for prety much same performance. ( i am saying this as gtx 680 owner, so fanboism aside and all that )

you dont need i7 2600k, all it has over 2500k is hyper threading which is 100% useless in gaming. 2500k is a bread and butter for any high end pc gaming build, there is no point going anything higher then that.

Cool, I figured as much about the i7, have heard nothing but 'don't bother, i5 is all you need', but no one gave me an explanation. Might go for 2x7970.

What are the advantages of an SSD?

Do you have a specific 7970 to recommend?

SSD - Solid State Drive. you will be using it for your OS as Boot drive and for all your main programs and games.

Differently to mechanical hardrive these dont have any moving parts and it uses flash memory which is extremely fast.

for example hdd will have write/read speed around 150mb/s, wheres ssd will have 500mb/s. so what does that mean to you? cut the time to load windows from 3minutes, to 15seconds. Load BF3 map not in 2-3 minutes, but in 30seconds.

unfortunately the one 7970 i would be hunting out for is not avelable on hardwareversad, but this looks not too bad:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=55671&agid=1942

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BillyCom

Noneek wrote: »
    Can that MoBo handle a gtx 680 graphics card, because if I was going to spend over 700 for one, would a 680 be better? Then I could upgrade to i7-2600k and the price would probably stay the same.

That looks very similar to my build, with the exception of the gpu & screen of course ;)

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€189.79
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€122.39
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€41.51
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€104.02
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€131.24
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R schwarz, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€96.80
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 800W|€86.20
    Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.99
    BenQ XL2420T|€376.38
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC, 2GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort|€495.06
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€78.12
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1794.49

I considered dual amd cards, but I think a single gtx680 can handle anything currently on the market with ease.
    If/when nvidia release their next flagship card (rumoured to be a 4gb version of the 680) and prices on the 680 start to drop, I may then order a 2nd one.

-hence the inclusion of a 800W PSU.

- btw everyone here seems to recommend the amazon brand, is it just because of the pretty led fan or would I be better off going with corsair psu ?

:D

I got corsair 750w myself and i can't fault it, but I do recomend amazon ones as they are good value/quality ratio. Plus corsair can be hit and miss.

Just food for thought to op:

2x7950 are overkill for that monitor amd you want to upgrade that to 2x7970. What if you keep 7950x2 them downgrade monitor to dell u2312hm ( whic is same e-ips monitor, but 1080p and slightly smaller, but you will be able to put in 3 of those and have kick arse With fast pc with 3 monitor eyefinity setup.

SSD - Solid State Drive. you will be using it for your OS as Boot drive and for all your main programs and games.

Differently to mechanical hardrive these dont have any moving parts and it uses flash memory which is extremely fast.

for example hdd will have write/read speed around 150mb/s, wheres ssd will have 500mb/s. so what does that mean to you? cut the time to load windows from 3minutes, to 15seconds. Load BF3 map not in 2-3 minutes, but in 30seconds.

unfortunately the one 7970 i would be hunting out for is not avelable on hardwareversad, but this looks not too bad:

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=55671&agid=1942
    `

I didn't realise it was that much faster, now it's a must have. I will have to check the books before deciding on the 7970 or 7950

I got corsair 750w myself and i can't fault it, but I do recomend amazon ones as they are good value/quality ratio. Plus corsair can be hit and miss.

Just food for thought to op:

2x7950 are overkill for that monitor amd you want to upgrade that to 2x7970. What if you keep 7950x2 them downgrade monitor to dell u2312hm ( whic is same e-ips monitor, but 1080p and slightly smaller, but you will be able to put in 3 of those and have kick arse With fast pc with 3 monitor eyefinity setup.

I was never set on that monitor. BTW, do any of these monitors have HDMI, because it doesn't mention it in inputs? Or would that only be needed if I have speakers in it?

Advertisement