Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton Very Rare 2012

Options
  • 18-04-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Any word on the release date for Midleton Very Rare 2012?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Bump

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They only release the new year whenever the old year is sold out, so when 2011 is gone they will release it. Maybe in the summer or towards the end of the year or even early next year, your guess is as good as mine.

Since 2010 they have been shipping more and more to Asia, with the result that there is less midleton here to be got.

To be honest, I wouldn't hold my breath for it. I think a lot of people have lost interest in collecting the full set of late given that they are so inconsistent on the dates they sell. AFAIK, the 2008 lasted for over 2 years and the 2009 was sold out in a matter of months.

You could always just email IDL and ask them directly, or call into the Distillery/Jameson Distillery if you are in Cork or Dublin.

I'm expecting the IDL rep to call in at work tomorrow or wednesday, I'll ask if he knows. Could be a long time before we get it in anyways. All our stock from IDL comes from a central warehouse and they won't order any 2012 in until all the 2011 is gone.

thanks for the info lads, i kinda knew about the new stock not being released until the old is sold.

I was lucky to pick up some 2009 when it briefly appeared.

I was hoping that someone might have info on an expected release date.
    I might take a spin to the centre in midleton soon, and ask them.

pa990 wrote: »
    thanks for the info lads, i kinda knew about the new stock not being released until the old is sold.

I was lucky to pick up some 2009 when it briefly appeared.

I was hoping that someone might have info on an expected release date.
    I might take a spin to the centre in midleton soon, and ask them.

I was talking to the rep from IDL this afternoon. He didn't know himself and rang someone at the distillery to ask. There is no date set for it, it will only be released when they have sold through all the old stock. No ideas how long this could take. He'll let me know as soon as he see's it down in midleton.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Is there a difference between each year?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

irish_goat wrote: »
    Is there a difference between each year?

Different numbers on the label. And obviously whiskey tasted nicer back in my day therefore more modern whiskey is not as good.

Seriously though, as every bottling of whiskey will be slightly different depending on batches, so too is midleton. The recent ones taste more Jamesonny to me but that could be because I don't drink it enough to really notice the subteties. It could also be due to increased production (leading to lesser quality).

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I think it got gradually older, or a portion of it was older, up to recent years. I have not tasted the more recent years, but I believe the components have gotten slightly younger again. Some years it might be a very similar blend, but with components that are each a year older...

Don't take this as fact, though. It is based on rumours. Could be true, of course. Last few I tasted were 2005 adn 2006 and they were both very good.

The recent ones may well be more Jamesonny, but the Midleton VRs don't have any sherry matured whiskey in them, whereas the Jamesons would.

That's not to say they can't be similar. They might use the same kind of pot still spirit.

I presume that in the coming years we will be getting younger and younger blends across all Irish blended whiskeys, since there is such a demand abroad

• Advertisement

That's happened with Jameson. I believe it's about a year or so younger on average than it was about five or six years ago.

It can also happen that when distilleries run out of stocks of a certain age, they use older stuff in the mix. Ardbeg and Springbank, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Heah there,

Midleton 2012 is currently available and well worth a sip :D

Heah there,

Midleton 2012 is currently available and well worth a sip :D

is it in the midleton distillery ?
    i'll take a spin down there in the morning*

*= late afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Yes, can you let us know where you got it?

Still not available in many outlets ...

Dropped into the Midleton Distillery (tourist center) and asked for a bottle of 2012.

only to be told that it hadnt been released yet :(

i was told that it would be released later in the year (DUH!!)

i'm eager to have a bottle as the 2009 sold out quickly and i was lucky to pick some of that up

It's available in the Celtic Whiskey Shop.

i'm eager to have a bottle as the 2009 sold out quickly and i was lucky to pick some of that up

I'm actually glad they sold the 2009 over such a short space of time, it shows just how overpriced and faddish midleton vr is.

It's very nice, but for me IDL produce better whiskeys at much lower prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The Irish Whiskey Collection in Dublin Airport have this now.

Brockagh wrote: »
    It's very nice, but for me IDL produce better whiskeys at much lower prices.

what would be your recommendation ?

• Advertisement

what would be your recommendation ?

If it is 150 quid for a midleton, you could get a bottle each of redbreast, jameson 12, green spot and writers tears for about the same price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Midleton is my treat drink, I don't give a crap how much it costs. Skodas are cheap too, but I'd prefer my 7 Series thanks. :)

Looking forward to picking up a bottle, just finished the last one.

dahamsta wrote: »
    Midleton is my treat drink, I don't give a crap how much it costs. Skodas are cheap too, but I'd prefer my 7 Series thanks. :)

Looking forward to picking up a bottle, just finished the last one.

It sounds like midleton is the ideal drink or you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mittens1

Hi, Just came across this thread.

I have a bottle of Midleton very rare 2012 Whiskey (boxed with certificate).

What is it worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Mittens1 wrote: »
    Hi, Just came across this thread.

I have a bottle of Midleton very rare 2012 Whiskey (boxed with certificate).

What is it worth?

Nothing more than the current retail value atm, around €155 or thereabouts.

Advertisement