Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Vans

Options
  • 17-04-2012 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

Why did CIE have to buy BR MK1 heating vans for the Cravens. I presume these vans were bought second hand. Did CIE not have any themselves, were the "Dundalk" Vans not suitable? What about the four wheel vans, were they the same, not suitable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

4 wheels and dutch vans were speed limited much lower due to their lack of stability at speed IIRC.
    With the craven order I would assume that the number of coaches outgrew the capacity of the current van stock and so the mk1 brake were acquired. These doubled as heating and luggage and being longer and heavier were most suited to higher speeds too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

4 wheels and dutch vans were speed limited much lower due to their lack of stability at speed IIRC.
    With the craven order I would assume that the number of coaches outgrew the capacity of the current van stock and so the mk1 brake were acquired. These doubled as heating and luggage and being longer and heavier were most suited to higher speeds too.
    Always wondered about why they weren't also set up to double as cab cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some of them van's were great at heating a train in the good old days. 3187 is still in use,on the Weedspayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Indeed it is and here it is in Athy last Tuesday morning

3187athy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

forgive my ignorance, but why would the weedsprayer need a heating van? it obviously caries staff on board?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

no longer used as a heating van, it's now a control car which monitors the track as the train progresses, this is what the cctv is for that you can see on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭highdef

Wow, 60 years old and still in mainline use!!! they are well built carriages :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

some still in use on the main line in the UK, on special trains usually and loads of Mk1s preserved

Theres several heating vans in the UK now, two at the Great Central and one in Scotland I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

corktina wrote: »
    some still in use on the main line in the UK, on special trains usually and loads of Mk1s preserved

Theres several heating vans in the UK now, two at the Great Central and one in Scotland I believe.

The RPSI still has two in Ireland. 3185 in service and 3173 undergoing overhaul.

The Mk1 vans were intended as a stopgap measure - CIÉ didn't intend for them to remain in service as long as they did. They were bought second hand in the early 1970s. This post on IRN should be useful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Rud wrote: »
    Indeed it is and here it is in Athy last Tuesday morning

3187athy.jpg
    What are the vulger looking CCTV cams doing on the back? :confused:

I thought they would have something a bit more discrete than that.

What are the vulger looking CCTV cams doing on the back? :confused:
    it's now a control car which monitors the track as the train progresses, this is what the cctv is for that you can see on the left
    I thought they would have something a bit more discrete than that.

why would they need to be discreet? it's built to be functional, not look pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

why would they need to be discreet? it's built to be functional, not look pretty
    If there was a nice fairing built for it the usual suspects would be blathering about waste of tax money at a time when hospitals are closing or summat.

Advertisement