Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does "Team GB" get multiple entrants to the qualifiers?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

3 lightweights. Scottish/English/Welsh

Why don't they have to pick one?

Fair enough, for the Worlds etc. they might argue that they are separate and so enter separately (and if I recall correctly, had two qualifiers at one weight from Baku). But for a standalone Olympic qualification event, why are they allowed multiple entrants?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

yore wrote: »
    3 lightweights. Scottish/English/Welsh

Why don't they have to pick one?

Fair enough, for the Worlds etc. they might argue that they are separate and so enter separately (and if I recall correctly, had two qualifiers at one weight from Baku). But for a standalone Olympic qualification event, why are they allowed multiple entrants?

Its a piss take. I've been going on about it for ages. However, I am told that this is the last time that it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Its a piss take. I've been going on about it for ages. However, I am told that this is the last time that it will happen.

:o

Sorry if that was covered before. I'm relatively new here!

I know there are some funny rules relating to the North in that some of the sports compete for us and some compete for GB. Or maybe technically, the individual athletes have a choice. ( I just checked and wikipedia says this)..... although I think that there have been plenty of Northern boxers throughout the years who would not have chosed to have a tri-colour raised so maybe they don't have a choice.

Did any Northern boxers ever box for "Team GB"? They represent the North in the Commonwealth Games.

What if a Northern boxer was also good at another sport and qualified as part of "Team GB" in that sport (I don't know, he made their sailing teram or whatever). Purely hypothetical and unlikely to happen, but could he then compete for both? I'd assume not, that once you "declare" for one, you can't go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

It's a joke alright, total unfair advantage for them. Either enter the Olympics as Wales etc and compete that way or do it as team uk, shouldn't have it both ways

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

It is unfair. If two of them qualify they have to have a box off to determine who goes but it still gives them multiple chances to qualify.

Advertisement