Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

staffordshire bull terrier labrador cross

Options
  • 17-04-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

We would like to give a loving and active home to a pup or a very young dog staffie lab cross.
    Any advice where we should look for one?
    We are not interested in a pure breed, as through many years of our life with dogs we have learned the cross breeds tend to be healthier and live longer happier life :-)
    Also staffie isn't a great swimmer and we hope mix with labrador will allow us all to enjoy water as we spend most of weekends at the beach.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sarenka

oh and we would be happy to adopt/rescue a dog as long as there aren't any behavioural issues (specially aggression) and medical conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

People will be better placed to help you if you give a guide to your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Discodog wrote: »
    People will be better placed to help you if you give a guide to your location.

True, but my rescue dog came from the other side of the country to me:D

OP, plenty of staffs and crosses in rescues unfortunately. And a decent rescue will have assessed the dog for any health or behavioural issues.

I'll send you a pm of where my dog came from. Not a staff but delighted with him nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Just want to add in that by crossing a staffie with a lab doesn't mean you'll get a dog who enjoys / wants to / is good at swimming so be sure to mention that this is a big requirement of yours to any rescue who you contact.

Also, a staffie cross (or any restricted breed cross) is also covered by the RB laws, so if your looking for a dog that can be off lead swimming with you on public property then you would be breaking the law by doing so. They must be muzzled, on a lead no longer than 2m and be held by a person who is capable of controlling them and >16yo.

Citizens Advice on the Control of Dogs Act.

I don't mean to sound as if I'm against any RB (I have a staffie cross myself) but just want to make sure that your aware of the extra "rules" which apply to them, it might help avoid disappointment further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Like evilmonkee said, it's not a guarantee that you'll have a dog who enjoys swimming based on what breed or cross you have.

However one of mine is a staffy lab cross and he loves swimming. We were camping lakeside once and at about 1am we brought him out for his last pee of the night, the little fecker ran straight back into the water :rolleyes:. It took us ages to get him dry enough to get into the tent again. He had been warming himself by the fire for ages and obviously decided he was a bit too clean, warm and dry.

There are loads of staffy crosses in rescue, if you google "bull breed rescue Ireland" you'll come across a rescue who deals with staffies, and all bullys and crosses. You might find what you are looking for there.

Location is not really an issue as if you have to travel for the right dog I'm sure you'd be happy to, if transport is a big problem then volunteers for the rescue can usually help.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

pm sent..

Guys, thanks a million!
    Yes we are aware crossing staffie and lab does not guarantee he/she will be a happy swimmer :-) But as much as I adore staffies I really would prefer a cross dog.
    We had many family dogs and both of us were brought up with dogs so we believe we would make a great home for a dog.

Yes, we are aware of RB laws (dog's racism if you ask me! ;-))

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

staffy lab is a generally a great cross. ive met quite a few and they always seem happy and energetic. plus there's no shortage of them in shelters. good luck :)

Another thing - we would prefer to take a dog at the end of June.
    I posted early in the case anyone has puppies on the way.
    It's just because we will be away for 2 weeks mid June and if we got a rescue dog I would hate leaving him for so long with anybody else and I don't think it would be really fair to a dog. (And probably would have to call every day to check on my new family member and drive everyone nuts - lol) But if we came across the right dog and it would be now or never or some other emergency situation we would have to come up with some plan...

And of course we don't mind driving anywhere to get our dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rebacarter

No advertising puppies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056761966

Please read the rules regarding puppies.

Advertisement