Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a vacuum have an acual temperature?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 3:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

When we say it's 20°C, we mean the air temperature is 20°C, of 293.15K (not the omission of the ° :D ) .. but how can temperature exist where there are no particles?? What if I brought a thermometer to space??

What would happen to a digital probe thermometer??

What would happen to a mercury/alcohol thermometer??

The latter works on pressure, lower pressure = lower bioling point, so does that mean that no pressure = bioling at essentially 0 K ?? :confused::confused:
    So does that mean that the mercury in the thermometer would evaporate inside the tube :confused::confused::confused:

Sorry for the ignorance, physicists are probably red in the face from all that facepalming :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69927839

might be worth reading as I think it might begin to answer a lot of your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

What would happen to a digital probe thermometer??
    A digital thermometer works on the basis of voltage drop across a PN junction. In space I guess this will depend on the incident light. (They will also have a rated temperature range, within which the PN voltage drop is linear)
    What would happen to a mercury/alcohol thermometer??

The latter works on pressure, lower pressure = lower bioling point, so does that mean that no pressure = bioling at essentially 0 K ??
    It doesn't matter that its in a vacuum, its a sealed unit with a vacuum in there anyway. The mercury or alcohol will expand or contract depending on it's temperature, again dependent on incident light. Most likely the liquid will freeze in either case(-38° for mercury, -114°C for ethanol), unless its in direct sunlight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Something I've been reading about recently; Unruh radiation.

In the theory, if an observer is moving in relation to a vacuum, they will see radiation.

Supposedly if you wave a thermometer around in a vacuum, it will register a temperature change from the Unruh radiation, because of its motion.

I don't know enough about it to say the idea is wrong - but it sounds wrong.

Advertisement