Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long did you keep going to AA after you quit drinking?

Options
  • 17-04-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering how long people kept up AA after they stopped drinking.

I know some have being off it for years and still go and some just maybe for a few months to help the start of sobriety.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

Doesn't the second A stand for anonymous?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

Yes, but if you do not feel comfortable posting under your name you can go off it and post as a gues.

I am just curious as I have being off since the 3rd and being going to AA since the 6th of March. I have read on here that some give it up after a few months. I guess its whatever works for you. But just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

I guess whatever works for you could be good for some people, but do you want to go back out drinking again maybe you'd have a better chance of staying away from drink by going to them as often as you went drinking?

The AA programme is continuous, and it is a lifelong programme if you want it to be, but again each to their own. No one is going to answer you directly, as no one knows your situation. All you will find is an opinion, and I guess you will try to find the opinion you like best and use that one!

I would ask the people you respect there, and see what worked for them. If you know anyone else who went and stopped going ask them too, see which one you think would work best for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

It's been more than 9 years since I had a drink and I still go. When I put down my last drink I had no intention of sticking around and really just stopped for peace sake - if someone told me I would actually enjoy going to AA 9 years later, I woulda had them committed but I do enjoy it and I have made some fantastic friends over the years!! Even though booxe isn't an issue for me now nor has it been for a long time, I hear the stories from people who stopped meetings etc. and invariably they ended up in trouble again:eek:.....thats enough to keep me coming back for now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I only went to about 4 AA meetings,Met some great people there who certainly helped me in my battle, but then decided personally it wasn't for me,But everyone to there own way and I would have nothing but encouragement for people to go to AA and see if it works for themselves,You can take what you want out of it and leave the rest,it certainly did help me in the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    Doesn't the second A stand for anonymous?

In AA meetings they have public access, anyone can attend, so they are clearly not anonymous (especially when you are required to state your name).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paddy1977

In public meetings its a persons choice if they want it to be known they are in AA, there is no rule to say you have to attend, most meetings are closed, only open to member's of AA and you only say your first name, my advise if you go to AA, keep going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I'm 4 years sober and really only went to AA while receiving treatment, whatever works in your own personal experience but I succeeded without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paddy1977

Oh i agree, everyone to there own, i personally find it easier to stay off it while attending meeting's, again that's me, but whatever floats your boat!

Advertisement