Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions??

Options
  • 17-04-2012 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

ok i was out for a drink the weekend and was talking to a fella who gave me this problem/riddle to solve but wouldn't give me an answer and i'm just wondering is there a solution or was he just telling me this to wreck my head for the week(if so he's succeeded) :mad:

here it is:

you have one wall that's 20ft long
    you have two lengths of wall plate (4x3) 10ft long
    you have no other timber available to you
    you can't butt the two lengths together (halving joint?)
    the wallplate must cover the full 20ft of the wall
    you only have basic tools,handsaw,hammer,4inch nails .
    your solution must be passed by an engineer

i asked about using the pieces you cut out for the halving joint an planting them on to either end ,but obviously this wouldnt be passed by an engineer

bear in mind i don't know the solution i'm just seeing what all of you think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Simple , place the wallplates down on to the wall leave a space of up to 200mm , the rafters are at min to be 400 centers . Fix the wallplates with 5mm heavyduty L brackest straps 1800mm long , as long as there at 800mm centers and 100mm in from the end they will completey with homebond regulations as it is not complusery to have a having joint when 4*3 wallplates abutt , a space is allowed as to be expected when a RSJ is proturding the wall , extra L straps are required .

Teepee .

Advertisement