Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ask to watch cricket in a pub.

Options
  • 17-04-2012 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Went to a removals yesterday and as the wife is away, decided to go to my local for a pint (or 3) This is a very respectable and sports mad pub. The tv was not on so I asked the barman to put on itv4 for the ipl match. Then the fun started, which was not helped as it was a terrible game.
    Why you looking at this, boring, wait for it, wait for it, he is going to throw the ball, ya God that is exciting.
    I got a phone call, which I went outside to take, when I came back in the tv was turned off and the famous line of tv is killing the art of conversation, was thrown out. Funnily nobody knew who turned off the telly.

Tv turned back on, then it turned out 3 of the 5 customers had played cricket, (I never did) and comments changed to like, Ireland are doing well at the moment.
    One guy who is in the army told us about being with the UN and they asked the Pakistani platoon they were working with to come and see the Ireland Pakistan wc match with them as the pakistan lads had no tv.

So my conclusion is "its not cool to like Cricket" When they had no choice, they watched it, and started talking about their experiences with Cricket.

Would I ask again to watch a match, I dont know. Is it worth the trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would and have done several times! If there was a game on that I wanted to see then Id have no hesitation asking for it to be turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

only if it's a match I have an interest in, I got the bleeding horse to show the world T20 games a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

What kind of a reaction did the both of ye get, from both staff and customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

had no problems, few others watched it too

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

If there was no other major sporting events on TV I'd have no problems asking the barman to flick it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

During the 2007 World Cup in the West Indies I went to my then "local" to watch an Ireland game. I asked the bar man if he would put on the game as there was few people in and they were just showing Sky News or something.. He laughed at me and says what would you be watchin that for and refused to put it on.

At the time he didn't know my best mate ( who occassionaly drank in the same pub) played for the Irish team. So I went elsewhere, actually it was the pub nextdoor who obliged and put it on..
    I have gone back a few times to the original local, and since 2007 my mate has gotten fairly famous as a cricket player.. The bar man offered to open his pub during the World Cup last year in India.. I told him to go and stuff it, me nor my mate drink there anymore.. Just being nice when it suits him.. tosser

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

I agree with you "Tosser" I think its harder in a small town, I see your from Mullingar, I am also from the midlands. I can image the comments that were made by the barman, to the other customers when we were had left the pub. (Big laugh)
    Also in your case, 2007 the pubs were busy enough, now they would show anything on the tv if it got you into the pub. My local is busy (enough) in the evenings, so my 4/5 pints is not going to make or break him that time of the day. But i am going to ask the owner will he show the t20 world cup (Dont know what time its on at, thought) If he does not I will go someplace else.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭crackit

You should be alright.

The first game is at 10am on a Monday and the next one is 2pm on a Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Went into a pub in Harold's Cross once and asked for a St. Pats game to be turned on which the barman did.Went outside came back in and it was turned off for Rugby for the regulars.Que a few dirty looks back and forth..last time i went in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Well it actually happened on Leeson Street in Dublin where I am originally from. Wouldn't dream of asking a barman in Mullingar to put on Cricket.. Do you want his head to explode? Worse again he could ask you to explain the rules!

Sri Lanka games will be on in the morning Irish Time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭farreca

I've watched cricket in my local in Mullingar a number of times, absolutely no problem when I asked them to put it on. But I get what your saying, wouldn't go asking for it in any of the 'popular' pubs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've done it a good few times, the only time it was a problem was when they switched over to rugby, which was fair enough I thought.

Working in a bar myself and I'll put on any sport a customer wants as long as it doesnt drive other customers away (mind you, I'd expect a tip too if they want to keep it on :D), it doesnt make fiscal sense not to do it.

Advertisement