Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilled Cylinder, carry on or upgrade?

Options
  • 16-04-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Discovered to my dismay at the weekend that the cylinder on my unskirmished Aug was drilled. A piss poor job was done too, brass swarf everywhere. The couple of mags of bbs put through it had caused enough movement to shred the piston head and cylinder head o-rings.

I know its a cheap and handy downgrade, I won't argue against it, just wish it was done with the cylinder out. I've read other threads here on the subject so no ranting please.

Now that the damage is done, should I replace the o-rings and carry on? or replace the cylinder, fit a M90 spring and new spring guide(one of the tabs broken)?

Upgrade in mind will any of the cylinders for 451 - 550mm barrells do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Bring it back to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Have had a chat with them. Its well beyond the limited warranty offered by any of the retailers. I also broke their T&Cs by taking the gearbox apart myself anyway.

Will look after it myself. Just wanted advice on the best way to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

By the sounds of if you're not happy by the drilled cylinder (don't blame ya) in the first place so I'd say replace it as it would probably bug you knowing it's still in the AEG after all the other upgrades go into it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

If it shredded the o-ring it wasn't fit for sale and you should be entitled to a repair, refund or replacement. To hell with the notion of warranties, it should be covered by Irish consumer law. You are out the cost of a new cylinder, spring, and o-ring and the installation costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

At the very least they can give you the price of a new piston and o-rings after all they essentially caused the problem with a piss poor work ethic.

But if it comes to it that they wont replace all the parts, buy a new cylinder and M90 spring while your at it, and clean every square inch of the gearbox and service it.

• Advertisement

The most I think I'll get is o-rings and a spring guide. I'll look at replacing the cylinder and spring. Choosing the correct cylinder is just determined by barrel length, right? Not too worried about bore-up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

thegrayson wrote: »
    The most I think I'll get is o-rings and a spring guide.

If you bought it recently, you're entitled to a full refund regardless of how the retailer feels about it or its warranty. If you didn't buy it recently, you're still entitled to a partial refund. Don't settle for less than what you're entitled too.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WolfPack

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    If you bought it recently, you're entitled to a full refund regardless of how the retailer feels about it or its warranty. If you didn't buy it recently, you're still entitled to a partial refund. Don't settle for less than what you're entitled too.

Agree 100%, the law is the law, its their to protect consumers. Retailers can't just make up their own rules as they go along

I bought it in October. Problem only came to light when I tried to skirmish it recenlty and it came in hot.

That's ridiculous, so they sold u a hot gun as well as it being butchered, believe me fella the law is well in your favor.

Don't give a crap what people say bout drilling cylinders saying its an effective and quick method of downgrading when in reality its laziness and being a cheap arse not putting in a spring.

Sorry now i know u said know ranting but reality is they essentially sold you by our law a "firearm" and poorly downgraded and they have the cheek to say you voided your warranty by opening a gearbox that they ruined?? effing joke that is. They should be reported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

If you used a credit card to pay for it, have a word with them. i am not sure how long you get to dispute the purchase but it may be worth the phone call.

The gun isn't hot as far as the retailer is concerned. It checked out okay in the shop chrono when I brought it back and on one I borrowed myself, consitently 320 - 327 fps. The problem seems to be that there is no certification of chronos so there can be a variance between models, different sites etc. Too close to the limit = problems. If the spring had been changed instead of the cylinder drilled I'd be in a much better position.

I know I have been f****d over a bit by this, but this is the second time I have managed to buy a bad Aug (two different retailers). I'll work this one out, the retailer has already been made aware of my feelings on the subject.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 455 ✭✭UMP45

was it M.I.A that drilled it, they say its "the best way to downgrade" when its only a quicker way to do it which eventually will lead to problems

It wasn't MIA. Won't name the retailer while waiting for them to make amends, if they muck me about much more I will name them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 455 ✭✭UMP45

thegrayson wrote: »
    It wasn't MIA. Won't name the retailer while waiting for them to make amends, if they muck me about much more I will name them.

if they continue to f*** about with you, Name and Shame them

I will :mad:

Sorting things out with the retailer was a bit awkward due to a language barrier.I got o-rings and a spring guide in the post today. Time to re-assemble everything, borrow a chrono and see how I stand now. Will most likely get myself a new cylinder and m90 spring, although for the money some of the kits with cylinder, cylinder head, piston head etc look like a good option.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Can I ask where are you based because if you can get the cylinder to me I will repair it for you for free
    I hate to think that a fellow softer is being put to extra expense just to get his AEG to conform to the legal limit

DeBurca wrote: »
    Can I ask where are you based because if you can get the cylinder to me I will repair it for you for free
    I hate to think that a fellow softer is being put to extra expense just to get his AEG to conform to the legal limit

Fair play to you dude, shame really that some retailers don't have your attitude to this.

Thanks for the offer but I'm good, can manage that myself.

• Advertisement

AUG fully re-assembled and working, with hole in drilled cylinder :( unblocked to do its job. Need to borrow a chrono again and check it out. Next month might see the purchase of a chrono and M90 spring and also the repair or replacement of the cyclinder.

For now at least I'm sure there is no brass swarf moving back and forth in the cylinder. Also found some brass in the gear box itself so cleaned and degreased before adding new grease and fitting it back together.

The factory stuff in the gear box wasn't grease so much as thick yellow gunk.

My piston head has a little slot into which my current spring sits. From the pictures, none of the upgrade springs available have a part that sticks out and would sit into this. Is this a problem? or does it mean I need to get a piston head with a bearing fitted when replacing the spring.

The stock cylinder in the AUG is ported, all of the replacement cylinders for a barrell length of 509mm are unported, will this make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

A stock AUG shouldn't have a ported cylinder, fitting an unvented one will raise the gun's power.

For best efficiency, cylinder volume should be comparable to barrel volume. If only a portion of the cylinder is generating compression it reduces the amount of compression available to accelerate the round. It'll reach its full power while still in the barrel and stop accelerating (hence why it's a cheap and cheerful downgrade). Using an unvented cylinder will generate more compressed air and keep the round accelerating until it leaves the barrel.

If it's an option I'd recommend fitting an unvented cylinder along with a weaker spring to keep the power down at the appropriate level. Along with getting the maximum efficiency from your spring and piston, it'll mean less wear and tear on your gearbox components as they no longer have to run a too powerful spring.

Your piston should be fine with any standard spring - it doesn't need to have the wee hooky bit. That said it's usually a good idea to use a bearing spring guide where you can.

Thanks Treadhead, good to know. The more I look at the AUG the more I think I was well stuffed. Should have bought a CA instead of ASG or maybe just bought elsewhere. Bad enough that the cylinder was drilled but that its the wrong cylinder too :mad:

Will order a spring, cylinder and spring guide this week and finally get this AUG sorted and into a skirmish.

Delivery in from WGC today. Have a new cylinder, cylinder head, spring guide, and a few other bits and pieces. Hoping it all comes together well. The Lonex M90 springs I ordered look quite a bit shorter than the original spring and also the M85 and M80 I got too. Bit worried, the packaging says PSG-1, though the weren't listed as such on the website.

Advertisement