Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2 playoff Results

Options
  • 16-04-2012 11:23pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭

SF 49ers 31 Atlanta Falcons 17

Great game down in Atlanta as the 49ers see off the Falcons to claim a place in the divisional round against either the Packers or the Cardinals.

The game started out with Atlanta receiving, though they could get nothing going so had to punt. On their first possesion Matt Cassell threw a pick with his first throw, to give the initative to the falcons but they gave it right back to the niners on the next play as romo threw to LB Hawthrone.

On the next drive Jamaal Charles proves his worth with a 73 yard TD run 7-0.

The Falcons cant move the ball and on their next drive Charles breaks off another huge run, this time going in for a 63 yard TD. 14-0.

The Falcons respond with a great drive but get bogged down in the redzone and must settle for a FG. 14-3.

Into the second quarter and Tony Romo hits Heap for a TD to reignite the home teams chances, 14-10.

The 49ers respond with a methodical drive down the field and Cassell hits Jimmy Graham for a TD to make it 21-10with 2 mins to half time.

The Falcons need to make something happen and are driving into the red zone when disaster strikes, Tony Romo throws it to Terell Suggs who takes to the house so instead of making it 21-17 it's now 28-10 at the half.

Into the second half and Charles fumbles the ball on the first drive to give ATL great field position and a chance at a comeback, however Romo throws another pick on the very next play.

Not to be outdone Matt Cassell throws a pick looking for Kenny Britt on the deep bomb a few plays later. Both teams are struggling n offense but Atlanta eventually score a TD with a great 83 yard pass, Romo to Heap as the 3rd quarter ends. 28-17.

11 points in it with 10 mins to play. Matt Cassell throws his 3rd pick on the next drive but again Atlanta fail to take advantage and cannot get the score they need. Both teams have drives that end up with punts before eventually the 49ers sustain a drive and kick an insurance FG to make it a 14 point game with 2:41 to go.

Atlanta give it a great go, and convert on 4th down twice, but just can't get it in the endzone.

final score 31-17.

Great game and great chatting with the Falcons coach over xbox live.

The Falcons have a great O-Line and good receivers and running back and with a few decent trades will be contenders again next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭notyalc666

Thanks Adro, great write up, you deserved that win, some stupid interceptions by myself really didn't help. Hopefully will be back in the play offs next season. Great talking to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Were the Cowboys playing the Bears tonight? I thought I saw the Cowboys winning 21 -6 in the third...:confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans @ Colts will be tomorrow anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

madalig12 wrote: »
    Were the Cowboys playing the Bears tonight? I thought I saw the Cowboys winning 21 -6 in the third...:confused:

No mate, that's Thursday. I hope you were seeing into the future :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

The Bills come to Cin Cin for a second consecutive year in the play off round. Last year the Bills were without Danny Woodhead and as a result all of the teams pressure mounted on Tim Tebow's shoulders.

This year was different , Kyle Orton had won the QB battle mid season and Arian Foster joined Woodhead in the fray. Troy Polamalu and Derek Johnson both had to sit out this game.

The Bills won the toss and decide to kick. The Bengals can do nothing on there opening drive and punt it to the Bills. The Bills get stuck at midfield and punt it away. Special teams can win you games in the post season, they can also lose you games. CinCin's returner fumbles the ball and Brandon Mcgowan who was playing for the injured Troy Polamalu runs it in for a touchdown 7-0 nothing Bills.

The Bengals get back on track with a field goal from 53 yard out. But the head coach is still visibly annoyed by his special teams start to the game. The Bills have not clicked on offense yet. It takes a 48 yard touchdown run from Danny Woodhead to ignite this offense ! 10-3

The Bengals showed why they've won the AFC North 2 years in a row with a second quarter to remember! A 42 yard and 60 yard pass from Maclin with Cam Newtons unpredictability in the pocket the cause. Game Changers ! The Bills get there power running game going, it looks as if there going to be stopped for a 3 pointer. No the Bengals special teams rough the kick and give up a first down ! Arian Foster does not need a second invitation and runs it in from 31 yards for a touchdown . 21-17

Now the Bills next drive starts from there own 14 yard line and Orton gets sacked on 2 second down, he then throws a bullet into the bengals middle line backers hands ! He tackled on the 9 yard line.

The Bills D keeps CinCin in check for two downs on third down newton goes gun. He see's no safe options and tucks and runs. Fumble ! Fumble! Bills recover on the 7 yard line ! Buffalo's offense has stagnated and they are forced to punt. With 1;25 seconds left and no timeouts the Bengals have work to do if they want to score from there own 41 yard line.

A masterful 2 minute drive with numerous different targets from newton get him into the redzone . Pierre Garcon does what he knows and score an 11 yard pass with 31 seconds to go.

Orton throws up a deep ball but its picked off at the end of the half 24-21 Bengals.

Second half see's the Bills offense take a 5 minute drive up the field but there stopped on the 13 yard line for a field goal. To make it honors even 24-24. Foster was prominent on this drive but was beginning to fade. That is the only score of the 3rd quarter the rest of it was a punting duel.

Fourth quarter see's the Bills march up the field again but to be stopped just inside the redzone for a field goal. 27-24. The Bengals offense is a rhythm offense and Hernandez was being kept at the line of scrimmage.

More punting ensues with both defenses crushing the other teams chances on key third downs. The Bengals get the ball with 4;30 on the clock. Michael Turner gets 6 tough yards to make it 3-1. On 3-1 the bills pack the line. The full back is stuffed by Larry English at linebacker. 4-1

The Bengals headcoach tells his QB to stay on the field and make a play. The Bengals come out in bunch formation with 2 tight ends. QB sneak ! No its no good ! No good ! Newton dives into his on center and is short !

The Bill rub salt in the wound when foster runs it in with 3;30 left on the clock making it 34-24.

CinCin 2 minutes and 3 seconds to score a field goals. On the Bills 30 yard line on a 4th and 10 it was the best option. 34-27

The onside kick is recovered by Buffalo, however they cannot get a first down and the Bengals use all there timeouts. 34-27 to the bills. The Bengals have 1:17 seconds to drive up the field from there own 12 yard line.

Sadly the Bengals are held up inside there own half near the 40 yard line. The Bills gain revenge for last year and proceed to the conference game !

Rob cheers for the game, I wouldnt be surprised if we see each other at the same point next year. As always a gent to talk to during the game .... even if your a patriots fan :pac:

Stats from the game
    Total offense
    Bills - 291 yards
    Bengals - 401 yards

Bills
    rushing 190
    passing 101

Bengals
    Rushing 49
    Passing 352

turnovers
    2 a piece

3rd down
    Bills 3-12
    Bengals 7-15

Redzone ( Key Factor)
    Bills 3-3
    Bengals 2-4

P.S Rob you couldnt spike the ball because it was 4th down. Thats why the cpu wouldnt let you at the very end of the game when there was 7 seconds left

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Great write-up Dave, great game even if I'm my own worst enemy, lack of practice really showing with inattentiveness.
    Good chatting to you as always.

It wasn't that I couldn't spike the ball on 4th down. I had pressed B by mistake leading up to that play so a pike was called. It wouldn't let me audible out of the spike!
    As it was 4th down and had no timeouts, there was nothing I could do. One of my many mistakes including:
    Getting distracted by the banter and not paying attention when I should have called a fair catch, which led to the punt fumble.
    Going for a 58 FG, which I now know is just outside Brown's range and gave you great field position.
    Don't know what to do about roughing the kicker, just painful.

Won't look forward to playing you next year with an improved QB pulling the strings.

Best of luck in the playoffs!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans @ Colts.

Titans win the toss and elect to kick.

the first quarter starts off with the teams trading punts.
    But the Colts the ball back and hit Davis on some good completions to get them into the red zone for a short rushing TD.

0-7 Colts at the end of the first.

Titans move the ball well and get into the red zone but on 1st and goal Best takes a toss and gets hit and fumbles and the Colts recover :(

McFadden and Davis get the Colts down the field and Davis gets himself a 17 yard TD.

0-14 Colts
    Titans get the ball with 2 minutes in the half. However things go from bad to worse and McNabb throws an int and the Colts finish up with a FG.

0-17 Colts. @ HT

Best takes the 2nd half kick off 99 yards for a TD and the Titans are back in it.

Colts have to punt.. Titans have to punt...
    Then Rivers throws and int to McBath on the Colts 26 yard line.
    Finley gets himself a 17 yard TD (his first since he joined form the Packers)

14-17 Colts and its game on.

Or so the Titans think.. Davis is getting 20+ yards a catch and the few times a safety gets near to the ball they're swatting it away instead of catching :mad: and then McFadden ghosts the Titans D for a 17 yard TD.

14-24 Colts at the start of the 4th.

Titans have the ball and move it well but Best is struggling a bit now and the Titans need to settle for a FG making it a one score game.

17-24 Colts

Titans D forces a punt and Best and Finley are combining well.. until MCNabb throws an int on the Colts 36 yard line.
    The Titans get stop the Colts again and force a punt on the 2 minute warning.

However McNabb gets sacked.. fumbles and the Colts recover and kick a FG and thats pretty much game.

Highlight of the moment was Bests absolutely bonkers catch which hit him in the back, he ran past it, he turned around and ran back and caught it.. (then he fumbled).

Some Stats:

Titans offense 238 with 79 rushing
    Colts with 347 with 101 rushing

McNabb with a rating of 44 with 11 from 24 and 173 yards 1 TD and 3 ints
    Rivers with a rating of 79 with 15 from 28 and 242 yards 1 TD and 1 Int

Best had 62 yards from 15 carries and a TD
    MCFadden had 98 yards from 32 carries and a TD

Finley had 4 catches for 92 yards and a TD
    Davis had 8 catches for 131 yards and a TD

Not a lot to say to be honest.
    I tried to shut down Davis, I double teamed on him with Wilson and Timmons, I lined up Willis on him with Wilson or a CB and i did stop him a few times but when the Colts need a key play to get a first down they went to Davis.

Another slight problem was as I was keeping an eye on Davis it meant that Rivers was getting that bit more time in the pocket

The key point in the game for me was the Best fumble.. it went from most likely being 7-7 to being 14-0 and then 17-0 when i tried to rush it, but you can be sure the first TE the Titans will be drafting will be Davis if he's available!!

Good game McG and good chatting as always. Everyone is going to struggle containing Davis and McFadden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Cheers Keith. You were unlucky with the fumbles and even though Davis made 8 catches you stopped quite a few and I did have to spread it about. I think I had 5 or 6 players with a reception.

Looking forward to a tough new season in the AFC South

Bears beat the Cowboys 38-21 to advance in the playoffs.

Game started off well for me with an INT on the first drive for the Bears resulting in a Dallas TD and a couple of stops for me on the next Bears drive, but after that they were able to shut me down completely and Zach Miller + Dwanye Bowe killed me.

4 INT's just won't get it done in the playoffs so I'll have to try and do better if I make it to next years playoffs.

As the winner I'll let Paddy write a proper report if he wants to.

Well done Paddy, you were a deserving winner and good luck in the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Paully D wrote: »
    Bears beat the Cowboys 38-21 to advance in the playoffs.

Game started off well for me with an INT on the first drive for the Bears resulting in a Dallas TD and a couple of stops for me on the next Bears drive, but after that they were able to shut me down completely and Zach Miller + Dwanye Bowe killed me.

4 INT's just won't get it done in the playoffs so I'll have to try and do better if I make it to next years playoffs.

As the winner I'll let Paddy write a proper report if he wants to.

Well done Paddy, you were a deserving winner and good luck in the next round.

I can't remember much of what happened to be honest.paully summed it up pretty well I started off badly throwing an int with my second throw but I managed to settle down and start moving the ball down the field. The major turning out came just before half time when Carr return an int for a td

Well played paully game a lot closer that score suggests you had be worried in the second half but like you said the turn overs cost you

• Advertisement

unlucky Paully, it's been a great first season for you

unlucky Paully, it's been a great first season for you

Thanks Heli. I've really enjoyed it and I'm delighted I joined up when I did.

I never expected to get this far and I've lost to a very good player, so I can have no complaints.

I've gotten more used to how I prefer to play as the season has gone on and the trades I have done today will compliment that, so roll on the new season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

The coin toss is won by the Jets and choose to kick off. The opening drive see's Arian Foster running over linebackers. The drive is held up and Janikowski kicks a 52 yard field goal . 3-0 Bill's

The Teams trade punts for the rest of the first quarter, The Bills believe ! Foster runs it in for a 35 yard run after some great passing by Kyle Orton an in route to Jackson in tight coverage the highlight catch. 10-0 Bills !

New York are forced to punt yet again, there offense is being kept in check by the fit again Polamalu and Derrick Johnson. Gore,Spiller and Keller are non existent. Kyle Orton drives his team in New York's territory. Orton audibles 3 times into 3 Wide out set. Orton see's jackson run a perfect streak and he hits him for a 44 yard touchdown ! 17-0 Bills ! It Buffalo's time ! The Metlife stadium is shell shocked.

Aaron Rodgers finally finds some rhythm and gets inside Buffalo's 40 yard line, the drive is stopped by Johnson batting down a risky ball. 37 yard field goal is all they can settle for. 17-3 The Bills march up the field again and are looking good on the 12 yard line. Tim Twinkle Toes Tebow is brought out for a trick play, 4 wide outs, 1 running back, He drops back doesnt see his first read, run's ... no wait he decides to pass on the back foot ! Interception!!!!!!!! The Jets get the ball back.

The Jets have 35 seconds to make something happen, they hit Thomas on a go route and he gets it to the 8 yard line ! but wait no time out called, The officials only see the time out with 2 seconds left on the clock. New York kick a field goal. 17-6

The second half see's the Jets go on 5 minute drive spreading out the rampaging buffalo's D back's. The score a on a 9 yard fade pass to Burress ! T hey go for the 2 point conversion and make it. 17-14 to the Bill's, Both teams trade punts yet again ! The third quarter comes to an end.

The fourth quarter see's Arian Foster come back into the game and after as 4 minute drive he runs through middle for an 18 yard run ! 24-14 Bill's, We can do it ! Both teams trade interceptions in the Jets half , the Jets then get forced to punt, Buffalo run it back to the Jets 40 yard line ! Momentum shiftier !

Kyle Orton throws another pick on the very next play ! A leaping linebacker dives in front of a bullet destined for Ben watson ! The Jets march up the field and score on 2 yard run by back running back Ridley . 24-21 Bill's

The Bill's have the ball on there own 20 after the kick off, they get the ball up to there own 38 yard line, Kyle Orton doesnt like the defensive look. He audibles into gun formation. He snaps the ball, his first and second read are not on , Danny Woodhead is ! on a delayed half back run. He throws the ball ! Hits over thrown by 3 yards ! Interceptions !!!!!!! The Jets run it to the Bills 27 yard line. MetLife stadium erupts

The Bills eventually let the Jets score with 1;39 second left on a 1 yard run. The biggest moment of this play was on a 3-7 Burress runs a curl route in the hash marks and runs it onto the 1 yard line. 28-24

Buffalo have 1;39 seconds to go up the field to score a touchdown ! From the 20 yard line . Orton get 3 completions in a row getting his team into the Jets territory. New York are forced to call a timeout to rearrange there D. 52 Seconds left in the quarter. The Bills get it to the Jets 27 yard line. They go no further, Sacks on 3rd and fourth down end Buffalo's dreams !

Final score 24-28 to the New York Jets !

Key Stat

Turnovers
    Bills (-3)
    Jets (+3)

I'm gutted, completely and utterly, i felt i had the jets offense in my pocket for the majority of the game. Interceptions in my half killed me. Berty was a gent as he always is ! That Tebow interception will haunt me for the rest of my days, why ? why did i throw it !?!?!??!? ...One of the best games I've ever played. Up there with my second game of madden 11 with ben where i missed a 53 yard field goal to win the game.

My Season is over, I'm Happy i pushed you all the way Bert, but i feel like i let this one slip away from me.

Goodluck against the Bronco's

Roll on next year ......................no undefeated next year :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Tough luck Dave, well done Berty, sounded like a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

First off, great report Dave. I would also have to say it was probably one of the best games I have ever been involved in.

I would absolutely admit that Dave and the Bills deserved to win this game, definitely a victory opportunity the Bills let slip. The Bills defense was fantastic throughout, I was really had to pushed to get an offensive production while the Bills offence was troublesome, I had no idea what was coming most of the time.

The difference in the game was the picks. I made one bad decision which resulted in a pick. Dave made one bad decision with Tebow which was a pick and another with Orton where he just did not see the defender. The crucial 3rd interception was to a wide open Woodhead and Orton simply overthrew it and fortunately for me hit the Jets DB.

Jets are very very lucky to still be alive. Our divisional matchups will be most interesting Season 3.

Finally while I know Dave must have been gutted to have lost a game he looked like winning until the final 2 minutes he was absolutely gracious in defeat.

Whew......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

On the 3rd time of asking:

Green Bay Packers 44-10 San Francisco 49ers

Eventually this game got the whole 40 minutes done. Turnovers were the difference as Matt Cassel threw 4 Interceptions whilst the Green Bay offense didn't turn the ball over once. Delighted with how my defense is playing and if I don't turn over the ball I'm confident in winning any games.

In the 3 games I lost this season (Eagles, Cardinals, Lions) I had huge turnover differences which were -3 against the Eagles (2 fumbles, 1 INT), -4 against the Cards(2 Fumbles, 3 INTs) and -4 against the Lions (4 INTs). Yet, I only lost each game by 4,7 and 3 points respectively. Looking forward to trying to get payback against the Cards in the conference game.

Thanks for the game adro, and for your patience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well done santry, I would have felt bad if I had beaten you as you had me put away the first night.

Don't know what happened with the mics tonight.

A load of picks, and a complete lack of ideas on offense, on Defense I couldn't get any pressure and that was always going to cause problems.

Well done and best of luck for the rest of the playoffs.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Well done santry, I would have felt bad if I had beaten you as you had me put away the first night.

Don't know what happened with the mics tonight.

A load of picks, and a complete lack of ideas on offense, on Defense I couldn't get any pressure and that was always going to cause problems.

Well done and best of luck for the rest of the playoffs.

Was pretty gas when your internet booted you tonight at the start of our first attempt :pac:

I've no idea either but the problem will be gone when I get UPC on Weds :D

Green Bay Packers 34-21 Arizona Cardinals

The Green Bay Packers Defense is to thank for another Superbowl appearance for their head coach.

1st Half

It was Green Bay's determination to stop Deangelo Williams running over them like he did in the regular season meeting and that was evident from the word go, as hard hits were laid on Williams at every opportunity. This caused a game changing incident on the very first offensive drive, as Williams was hit hard and had to leave the game and not return! At half time, the score was 14-13 to the Cards, as both teams had moved down the field and not committed any turnovers.

2nd Half
    The game changed in the third quarter in favour of the Packers. At the beginning of this quarter, neither team got going on offense as they both stalled and had to punt away. Green Bay came out in an Iso formation on their own 23 to have another go at moving the ball, the Green Bay HC liked something he saw and changed to a quick slant for Reggie Wayne, who beat his CB and then the Free Safety Meriweather and went 77 yards for a crucial TD to make it 20-14 to Green Bay.

The Cardinals then made a good running play on their first play of their next drive to make it to their 35 yard line, however, Ryan thought he saw Bryant running free on an out route, but the game's MVP Brandon Flowers jumped the route and caught the ball and brought it all the way back for 6 to make it 27-14 Green Bay. The Cardinals then threw another pick in Green Bay territory to allow the Packers to have the ball back again. With 8:10 left on the clock, Ray Rice ran in from 8 yards to make it 34-14. The Cardinals were to throw another pick but the Packers couldn't get anything going and punted back with 4 minutes remaining. The Cardinals then went down the field and scored a TD with 1:49 remaining to make it 34-21. The game was not over yet as the Cardinals controversially collected an onside kick which never went the 10 yards. The Cardinals tore down the field again but it proved one pass to far for Ryan, as he was picked off on the 5 yard line by D'Qwell Jackson to seal a fourth consecutive Superbowl appearance for the Packers.

Final Score: Green Bay Packers 34-21 Arizona Cardinals

Key Stats:

Jake Locker: 7/12 184 yards 2 TDs 0 INT
    Ray Rice: 20 atts 141 yards 1 TD
    Brandon Flowers: 2 INTs 2 Tackles 1 TD

Matt Ryan: 22/38 368 yards 2 TDs 4 INTs
    Matt Ingram: 19 atts 94 yards 1 TD

As with all play off games, turnovers decide it. I won this turnover battle 4-0 and it's always difficult to win a game when you lose the battle. Thanks for the game Shane. Was tight all the way!

The HB taken out one the first drive?!?! This stinks....a 'Saints' kinda stink;)

• Advertisement

madalig12 wrote: »
    The HB taken out one the first drive?!?! This stinks....a 'Saints' kinda stink;)

You just mad because my 1st round pick has dropped lower? :p

Well done santry and unlucky Shane

SantryRed wrote: »
    You just mad because my 1st round pick has dropped lower? :p

I didn't even kop that.....DAMMIT!!:mad:
    Also pissed that there is no decent kicker in the draft, I was so gonna use your first rounder for that.

Advertisement