Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VAT refund on online shopping

Options
  • 16-04-2012 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there.
    I would like to know if it's possible to claim VAT refund if I buy an iPhone 4S at Apple's online store, and what do I have to do to make it possible. I am studying in Ireland but I am going back to my country within the next two months.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

There is no VAT refund due under the retail export scheme (assuming you are leaving the EU) where sales are purchased from an online store. If your not leaving the EU then there is no refund anyway.

From Apples own website:http://store.apple.com/ie/help/payments

VAT refunds on exports

Apple are not permitted to refund any VAT charged on Ireland purchases due to local legislation restrictions. The Apple Store (Ireland) is not a part of the Retail Export Scheme, as this scheme does not apply to Internet Sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 diogogb

What if I bought the iPhone at an Apple Retail store, i.e. in Belfast? Would I be able to get it tax free? Or are there any other stores that sell unlocked iPhone in Dublin?

Thanks for the info, btw! I was looking for some information at Apple's site, but couldn't find any... seems like I did a poor job searching for info there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

You will need to contact the store directly and ask them if they operate the Retail Export Scheme if they do they'll have the relevant forms and make the refund due or have a refund agent who will deal with the refund. Not all stores do and they are not obliged to it's voluntary. The retailer is also entitled to charge a handling fee for processing the refund which will be deducted from the vat refund if they apply one. You will required proof at the time of purchase that you are entitled to use the scheme usually your passport and travel documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 diogogb

I see. Seems like it's not as easy as it seams to get the VAT refund... But I'll try to contact them, otherwise I'll just buy it online.

Thanks again, Daxve!

Advertisement